Solving a Population Growth Problem

In summary: The population grew by an amount that was a multiple of 9. The population was less than 20,000 people and used the five digits 1,9,0,8, and 7. What could have been the population at the end of 2008? Can you find all possible answers? Explain how you know.
math2014
Ok so this is homework question, i know it is supposed to be here but the math question would not go in any homewrok category i need help and my parents do not even know how to solve it. Math question:

The population of Heidi's hometown is 18,079 people in 2006. In 2007 it was 19,087 people. During 2008 the towns population grew by an amount that was a multiple of 9. The population was less than 20,000 people and used the five digits 1,9,0,8, and 7. What could have been the population at the end of 2008? Can you find all possible answers? Explain how you know.

READ THE PROBLEM CAREFULLY. Also remember the population grew, not decreased. Please help me.

I have divided and did everything to get the population. There is no possible population if you agree say you agree if not tell me what i did wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
math2014 said:
Ok so this is homework question, i know it is supposed to be here but the math question would not go in any homewrok category i need help and my parents do not even know how to solve it. Math question:

The population of Heidi's hometown is 18,079 people in 2006. In 2007 it was 19,087 people. During 2008 the towns population grew by an amount that was a multiple of 9. The population was less than 20,000 people and used the five digits 1,9,0,8, and 7. What could have been the population at the end of 2008? Can you find all possible answers? Explain how you know.

READ THE PROBLEM CAREFULLY. Also remember the population grew, not decreased. Please help me.

I have divided and did everything to get the population. There is no possible population if you agree say you agree if not tell me what i did wrong.

I can see four possible values for the population.

If you outline specifically what you did, I can help.

But it is the policy here that you must show your working up until the point you became stuck,

If two numbers consist of the same digits, just in a different order, what can you say about factors of the difference of the two numbers?

BOAS said:
I can see four possible values for the population.

If you outline specifically what you did, I can help.

But it is the policy here that you must show your working up until the point you became stuck,

I divided 19,708 , 19,807 , 19,780 , and 19870 by nine but none were divisible

math2014 said:
I divided 19,708 , 19,807 , 19,780 , and 19870 by nine but none were divisible
Read the question again:
grew by an amount that was a multiple of 9

Just tell me the answer

math2014 said:
Just tell me the answer

No, that's not how these forums work.
Don't expect the answers to this question to be numbers that are divisible by 9. It says the population "grew by" a number that's divisible by 9. It does not say "grew to" a number that's divisible by 9.

18,079 people in 2006. In 2007 it was 19,087 people
How much did the population grow by in that case? Is that number divisible by 9? How might you have realized whether it would be divisible by 9 without even calculating the number?
Take any number, any number of digits. Make another number by shuffling the digits around. Subtract the one from other. Is the result divisible by 9?

What is a math population word problem?

A math population word problem is a type of problem that involves using mathematical concepts and equations to solve a real-world scenario involving a population. This could include calculating growth or decline rates, determining the size of a population after a certain amount of time, or predicting future population trends.

What are the key steps to solving a math population word problem?

The key steps to solving a math population word problem are identifying the information given, determining what is being asked, setting up the appropriate equation(s), solving for the unknown variable, and checking your answer to ensure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

What types of equations are commonly used in math population word problems?

Some common equations used in math population word problems are the population growth equation (P = P0 * e^(rt)), the population decline equation (P = P0 * e^(-rt)), and the compound interest equation (A = P(1 + r/n)^(nt)). Other equations may also be used depending on the specific scenario.

How can I apply math population word problems in real life?

Math population word problems can be applied in many real-life situations, such as predicting the growth of a population for urban planning, determining the size of a market for a product or service, or analyzing population trends for social or economic research. These types of problems can also help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that can be useful in various careers.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving math population word problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving math population word problems include using the wrong equation, misinterpreting the information given, and not checking your answer for accuracy. It is also important to pay attention to the units used and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem.