Solving Word Problem: 10m Wire Cut into Square & Triangle

In summary, the conversation discusses a word problem involving a piece of wire being cut into two pieces and bent into different shapes. The problem asks to express the total area as a function of x and determine the value of x that will result in the minimum total area. The conversation explains the steps for finding the area of both the square and equilateral triangle, and uses the Pythagorean theorem to find the height of the triangle. The final answer is given as A(x) = (x^2)/16 + (100sqrt(3) - 20xsqrt(3) - x^2sqrt(3))/72. The conversation also briefly mentions the concept of differentiation and its relevance to finding the minimum value.
Mathnewbie
Hello I have this word problem that I am having problems solving. Hopefully someone can help

Here is it.

A piece of wire 10m long is cut into two pieces. On piece, of length x, is bent into the shape of a square. The other is bent into the shape of a equilateral triangle.

(a) expess the total area of a enclosed as a function of x
b. For what value is of x is this total area a minimum.

This is what I think I can figure out.

One side of the square is s = x/4
One side of the triangle is s = (10 -x)/3

Area of Square is A= lw
Area of Triangle is A = 1/2bh

How do I go from here.

TIA

I may be totally wrong

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track!
Let's take the area of the square first.
Since the length is equal to the width for the square, we have that the square's area is:
[tex]A_{sq.}=(\frac{x}{4})*(\frac{x}{4})=\frac{x^{2}}{16}[/tex]

Agreed?

Now, you've got an equilateral triangle, whose side is [tex]s=\frac{10-x}{3}[/tex]
What you need to figure out, is the height of that triangle.
To do that, look on the triangle formed by dropping a perpendicular from one vertex down on one side (dividing that side in half), whose side-lengths must be [tex]s,\frac{s}{2},h[/tex] where "h" is the height.
Our triangle is right-angled, so we have, by Pythogoras:
[tex]s^{2}=(\frac{s}{2})^{2}+h^{2}[/tex]
that is we get:
[tex]h=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}s[/tex]

Now, can you take it from here?

Last edited:
how did you get

from

[tex]s^{2}=(\frac{s}{2})^{2}+h^{2}[/tex]

??

[tex]h^{2}=s^{2}-\frac{s^{2}}{4}=\frac{4s^{2}-s^{2}}{4}=\frac{3}{4}s^{2}\to{h}=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}s[/tex]

Yeah I should have seen that.

So now that I know that the height

I can plug s into the height formula and the height formula into the area like this

[tex]A=\frac{1}{2}(\frac{10-x}{6})(\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2})(\frac{10-x}{3})[/tex]

[tex]A=\frac{100\sqrt{3}-20x\sqrt{3}-x^2\sqrt{3}}{72}[/tex]

Now I add the to area formulas togther to get

[tex]A=\frac{100\sqrt{3}-20x\sqrt{3}-x^2\sqrt{3}}{72} + \frac{x^2}{4}[/tex]

Is this correct?

Basically, yes,; but you've made a couple of arithmetical mistakes.

You should have for the total area A:
[tex]A=(\frac{x}{4})^{2}+\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}(\frac{10-x}{3})^{2}[/tex]

cool thank i will try to figure out where made the mistakes.

how do i figure out this part

For what value is of x is this total area a minimum

Thanks again

Have you learned about differentiation (derivatives) yet?

no not yet

And you were given this as an assignment all the same??

Are you sure about that?
Haven't you covered minimization problems in class?

in this

[tex]A=(\frac{x}{4})^{2}+\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}(\frac{10-x}{3})^{2}[/tex]

what happen 1/2 from the area of triangle??

Just wondering.

The half has already been taken into account, that's why you have [tex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}[/tex] and not [tex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex], ie [tex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\frac{1}{2} = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}[/tex].

Last edited:
You have, for the area of the triangle:
[tex]A_{tr}=\frac{1}{2}*h*s=\frac{1}{2}*\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}*s^{2}=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}s^{2},s=\frac{10-x}{3}[/tex]

all we have done with min or max is in the for of ax^2 + bx + c

if a < 0 then x= -(b)/2a is the max
if a > 0 then x= -(b)/2a is the min

this was a assignment and I got it wrong and think there will be something like it on the test. This is the only min max question we have had.

thanks for all your help

I think I need to be a little more organized when I am solving a question so I know what I have done already. Thanks for the help.

Yes, then what you need to do is to identify "a" and "b" in your expression for A(x)!

1. What are the steps to solve a word problem involving wire being cut into a square and triangle?

The first step is to identify the given information and what is being asked in the problem. Then, use the formula A = s² to find the area of the square, where s is the side length. Next, use the formula A = ½bh to find the area of the triangle, where b is the base length and h is the height. Finally, add the two areas together to get the total area of the wire.

2. How do I determine the side length of the square if I know the wire is 10m long?

The wire is being cut into a square and a triangle, so half of the wire will be used for each shape. This means that the length of the wire for the square is 10m ÷ 2 = 5m. Since the formula for the area of a square is A = s², we can rearrange it to solve for s by taking the square root of both sides. Therefore, the side length of the square is √(5m) ≈ 2.24m.

3. Can I use the same formula to find the base length and height of the triangle?

Yes, the formula A = ½bh can be used to find the base length and height of the triangle. However, you will need to use the information given in the problem to determine which side is the base and which side is the height. You may also need to use other geometric principles, such as the Pythagorean theorem, to find the missing side lengths.

4. What if the wire is not cut into equal halves for the square and triangle?

In this case, you will need to use the given information to determine the lengths of each shape. For example, if the wire is cut into 3 equal parts, one part can be used for the square and the remaining 2 parts can be used for the triangle. You will then need to adjust your calculations accordingly.

5. How do I know if my answer is correct?

You can check your answer by plugging it back into the original problem and making sure it satisfies all the given information. You can also use a calculator or online tool to calculate the area of the square and triangle separately, then add them together to see if they equal the total area of the wire given in the problem.