Solve Word Problem: Find Rectangle Dimensions from Circular Piece of Sheet Metal

In summary, the group discusses a word problem involving a circular piece of sheet metal and the formation of a rectangle with a specific area. They discuss using trigonometric expressions and solving equations to find the length and height of the rectangle. They also mention using the quadratic formula to find the correct values for x and y.
powp
Hello All

I have this word problem that I am having problems with

Here it is

A circular piece of sheet metal has a diameter of 20 in. The edges are to be cut off to form a rectangle of area in^2. What are dimensions of the rectangle??

Here is what I have figured out. Not sure if it of any use

Formula of Circle is

10^2 = y ^ 2 + x ^ 2

Area of rectangle

160 = LW

Not sure how to go from here. Please help

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
powp said:
A circular piece of sheet metal has a diameter of 20 in. The edges are to be cut off to form a rectangle of area in^2. What are dimensions of the rectangle??

Here is what I have figured out. Not sure if it of any use

Formula of Circle is

10^2 = y ^ 2 + x ^ 2

Area of rectangle

160 = LW

Not sure how to go from here. Please help

Thanks

So, as I see it you have a circle of radius 10 and want to draw a rectangle in it with a total area of 160 right? Look at the plot below (drawn to scale) and where I have theta. Can you figure out what the length and height has to be using some trig expressions?

Attachments

• recin circle.JPG
    recin circle.JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 407
Don't think I have enough info to use trig expessions. All I know for that triangle is the hypotenuse is 10 in and is a right angle triangle.

How can I determine the remaining info?
if I use sin I need opposite side?

IT’S ALL GEOMETRY…

X^2 + Y^2 = 20^2 = 400 ----------------------DIAGONAL OF THE RECTANGLE

XY = 160
2XY = 320

X^2 + 2XY + Y^2 = 400 + 320 = 720
(X+Y) ^2= 720

X+Y = 12 √5

X^2 – 2XY + Y^2 = 400 – 320 = 80
(X-Y)^ 2 = 80

X-Y = 4 √5

2 EQS., 2 UNKNOWNS

2X = 4 √5 + 12 √5 = 16 √5

X = 8 √5
Y = 4√5

Nice explanation plucker.

thanks why did you multiply xy = 160 by 2 ??

adding 2xy to x^2 + y^2 will yield to an expression x^2 + 2xy + y^2 which is the square of the sum of the sides of the rectangle...(x + y)

subtracting 2xy to x^2 + y^2 will yield to an expression x^2 - 2xy + y^2 which is the square of the difference of the sides of the rectangle...(x - y)

you will have 2 eqs and 2 unknows...

how can you just add values to the equation?? How do you know when to do this?

Hey Powp. Sorry for not get getting back with you last night but looks like these guys helped you ok. Yea, I didnt' see the obvious algegra:

[tex]x^2+y^2=400[/tex]

[tex]xy=160[/tex]

Solving for x or y in the second equation and substituting into the first leads to the same equation for both x and y:

[tex]r^4-400r^2+160^2=0[/tex]

Now, using the quadratic formula, just figure out which of the 4 roots make sense.

I drew a pretty graph though. :wink:

Last edited:

What is the formula for finding the dimensions of a rectangle from a circular piece of sheet metal?

The formula for finding the dimensions of a rectangle from a circular piece of sheet metal is as follows: width = diameter of the circle and length = circumference of the circle.

Can you provide an example of how to use the formula?

Let's say we have a circular piece of sheet metal with a diameter of 10 inches. Using the formula, we can find the width of the rectangle to be 10 inches and the length to be the circumference of the circle, which is 2πr or 2π(5) = 31.42 inches.

Is it possible to find the dimensions of a rectangle if the circular piece of sheet metal has a hole in the center?

Yes, it is still possible to find the dimensions of the rectangle even if the circular piece of sheet metal has a hole in the center. You would simply use the diameter of the outer circle and subtract the diameter of the inner circle to find the width, and then use the circumference of the outer circle to find the length.

What units should be used for the dimensions?

The units for the dimensions will depend on the units used for the diameter and circumference of the circle. Make sure to use the same units consistently throughout the calculation.

Are there any limitations to using this formula?

Yes, there are a few limitations to using this formula. It assumes that the circular piece of sheet metal is a perfect circle and that the rectangle will fit perfectly within the circle. It also does not take into account any irregularities or deformities in the sheet metal. Additionally, it does not account for any thickness of the sheet metal.