Word Problems Forum for Prealgebra to Precalculus Practice | Post and Solve Now!

• Thread starter nycmathguy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of creating a forum for word problems on the website to provide extra practice for members. However, there are concerns about the potential overload on moderators and the importance of quality over quantity in problem sets. The conversation also delves into the negative and positive effects of various cultural and technological developments. Finally, there is a playful exchange about solving word problems.
nycmathguy
I would like to post lots of word problems covering prealgebra through precalculus as extra practice for members. By doing so, members do not have to search online for questions to work on.

Questions:

1. Why not make a forum here SPECIFICALLY for word problems?

2. If this sounds like a good idea, where can I post my word problems?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The fundamental issue is “why not other problems?” Curating problem sets would be a change in direction for the site and would probably overwhelm the moderators.

At the end of the day, it is up to our dear leader @Greg Bernhardt

Likes Wrichik Basu
Comment 1: "I need my very own section!" Indeed.
Comment 2: It's about quality more than quantity. You will get more out of it if you put more into it.

Likes Hamiltonian
I vote no.

Likes Astronuc, hutchphd, Doc Al and 3 others
What about:

Must be essential (8, 8)

I anti-disestablish, you anti-disestablish, he/she/it anti-disestablishes ... (7, 11)

Pessimistic and more insensitive (8, 6)

The answers are all things to do with mathematics.

Last edited:
PeroK said:
What about:

Must be essential? (8, 8)

I anti-disestablish, you anti-disestablish, he/she/it anti-disestablishes ... (7, 11)

I have no idea what you are trying to say.

caz said:
These are cryptic, crossword clues. Not for the literal minded!

caz said:
It's a math puzzle, and I'm failing so far. Give me a minute...

PeroK said:
These are cryptic, crossword clues. Not for the literal minded!
Doh! o0)

Comment 3: Dividing problems up by "word" and "not-so-word" makes much less sense than dividing them by topic.
Comment 4: Is this a word problem? "Show that at least one element of a Pythagorean triple is divisible by 4." Is this? "Walter walks into a bar, and is told he can get a free beer if at least one element of a Pythagorean triple is divisible by 4. Does he get a free beer? Why or why not?"
Comment 5: We just went through a long thread where you claimed that your difficulty with word problems wasn't on you - no, it was entirely the fault of the writers of these problems. Given this premise (which I don't think has merit), what would be the point of such a section?

Likes Astronuc, phinds, hutchphd and 2 others
PeroK said:
You can have a star for that one.

Likes PeroK
This won't work. There have been four major events in the last century which changed our acceptability fundamentally

1934 - N. Bourbaki
1981 - MTV
1984 - LaTeX
1992 - Html

and notably from reading stuff into visualizing content in less and less time.

People nowadays are more than ever used to veni, vidi, vici. They expect to see what it is all about rather than reading long texts and filtering the relevant information on their own. I even refuse to comment on uploaded pictures, that have often to be remastered: download, orientation, zoom, contrast, decoding unreadable handwriting - neither of which I want to do. LaTeX is also important because it allows getting the crucial information at one glimpse and avoids the confusion linear notation usually envokes.
Vanadium 50 said:
Comment 2: It's about quality more than quantity. You will get more out of it if you put more into it.
is the crucial point, or as I like to take it:

Comment 3 6: Why should I put more effort in an answer than a student put in his question?

Likes dextercioby
fresh_42 said:
1934 - N. Bourbaki
1981 - MTV
1984 - LaTeX
1992 - Html
While I am not a fan of Bourbaki style, I would not have described it as negative to civilization.

PeroK said:
I might give that one a star too, but I realized it wouldn't change anything.

caz said:
While I am not a fan of Bourbaki style, I would not have described it as negative to civilization.
Have I? I don't think so.

fresh_42 said:
Have I? I don't think so.
MTV killed albums.
Latex does not save time (20 fast drafts instead of two slow ones) and since authors are now doing typesetting promotes the proliferation of publications.
Html enabled the countless pathologies of the internet.
Boubaki (please fill in)

caz said:
MTV killed albums.
Latex does not save time (20 fast drafts instead of two slow ones) and since authors are now doing typesetting promotes the proliferation of publications.
Html enabled the countless pathologies of the internet.
Boubaki (please fill in)
I could answer with a list of positive consequences of each, and those were the ones I had in mind. I appreciate every single one of them. However, this might be a little too off-topic.

caz said:
The fundamental issue is “why not other problems?” Curating problem sets would be a change in direction for the site and would probably overwhelm the moderators.

At the end of the day, it is up to our dear leader @Greg Bernhardt
Ok. It was just an idea.

Vanadium 50 said:
Comment 1: "I need my very own section!" Indeed.
It was just an idea.

PeroK said:
What about:

Must be essential (8, 8)

English, please?

nycmathguy said:
English, please?
That is English. @Ibix has solved two of them.

Hint for the middle one: what do you call it when you run through the different forms of a verb like that?

• Informative
Likes Ibix and berkeman
PeroK said:
That is English. @Ibix has solved two of them.

Hint for the middle one: what do you call it when you run through the different forms of a verb like that?
Here's a better one:

Why did George Washington cross the Delaware River?

[Post edited by a Mentor to remove all caps (yelling)]

nycmathguy said:
Here's a better one:

Why did George Washington cross the Delaware River?

[Post edited by a Mentor to remove all caps (yelling)]
To get to the other side?

Likes nycmathguy
Here's another one for anyone who is still interested:

Dinosaur searches for food? (6, 5)

PeroK said:
To get to the other side?
Bingo!

Now, answer my word problems thread.

nycmathguy said:
Now, answer my word problems thread please.
There, I fixed it for you. :wink:

berkeman said:
There, I fixed it for you. :wink:
Fixed what?

• Sad
Likes berkeman
I think the thread has run its course and it's time to close it.

• Sad
Likes Wrichik Basu and PeroK

1. What is the purpose of the Word Problems Forum for Prealgebra to Precalculus Practice?

The purpose of the Word Problems Forum is to provide a platform for students to practice and improve their problem-solving skills in mathematics. It allows students to post word problems from prealgebra to precalculus and receive help and solutions from other members of the forum.

2. How can I participate in the Word Problems Forum?

To participate in the Word Problems Forum, you can either post your own word problems or solve problems posted by other members. You can also provide feedback and suggestions on solutions provided by others. Registration is required to post and solve problems.

3. Is the forum only for certain levels of math?

No, the Word Problems Forum is open to all levels of math, from prealgebra to precalculus. This allows students to practice a wide range of problem-solving skills and also provides an opportunity for students to learn from others who may be at a different level.

4. Are there any guidelines for posting problems on the forum?

Yes, there are guidelines for posting problems to ensure that they are clear and appropriate for the forum. The problem should be from a prealgebra to precalculus level, and should include all necessary information and any relevant diagrams or equations. It should also be a unique problem that has not already been posted.

5. Can I use the solutions provided by others for my homework or exams?

No, the solutions provided on the Word Problems Forum are for practice and learning purposes only. It is important to solve problems on your own to fully understand the concepts and improve your problem-solving skills. Using solutions from others may also be considered cheating on assignments or exams.