1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wording of a question

1. Sep 15, 2013 #1
    Wording of a question (vectors)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I do not need help for a solution, I only need clarification on the question. I do not understand what the question is asking, here is a picture. azbds2.png

What does it mean when it says the rotation angle alpha? Are x' and y' two different vectors? Also what am I supposed to try to prove? Also what does point P have to do with anything?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Alpha is the tilt angle of the primed system with respect to the unprimed system. x' and y' are the coordinates of the primed system just as x and y are the coordinates of the unprmed system.

It is suggested that you show how a point P in the unprimed system, being the same point in the primed system, can be written in the xy and the x'y' systems. Then equivalencies can be deduced relating the primed x' and y' to the unprimed x and y values.

4. Sep 15, 2013 #3
    So the question is saying to show that the coordinates (x,y) with respect to the normal Cartesian plane, are related to the different coordinates of that same point in the x',y' plane, with those equations. What is he exactly asking you to show? If he already gives you the solution. Is he asking your for the process in which you get those two expressions?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted