1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wording question

1. Jan 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the solid S described below.
    The base of S is the region enclosed by the parabola y = 5 - 2x2 and the x-axis. Cross-sections perpendicular to the y-axis are squares.
    Find the volume V of this solid.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know how to answer these types of questions, but my question is what exactly does the question ask for? I can find the area bound by the parabola and the x-axis, but what does "cross-sections perpendicular to the y-axis are squares" mean?
    thanks for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2008 #2

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the bounding functions were, for example, [itex]y=x+1[/itex], [itex]y=-x+1[/itex] and [tex]y=0[/itex] then the solid would be a square pyramid.

The object that's being described is something like a sqare 'bubble pyramid'.

4. Jan 30, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Imagine squares made of foam. at the base of the parabola, since y= 5- 2x2 has x-intercepts at [itex]\pm\sqrt{5/2}[/itex] your square have height as well as base of length [itex]2\sqrt{5/2}[/itex] (and so area 10). As y increases the corresponding x values decrease and so does the height of the square. Your solid is bounded by 4 curved sides. Of course, there is the base which is that parabola itself. There will also be two "edges" arcing from (-1, 0, [itex]-\sqrt{5/2}[/itex]) down to (0, 5, 0) and from (1, 0, [itex]\sqrt{5/2}[itex]) down to (0, 5, 0).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?