Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

• Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, the player played the New York Times daily word game and found that they had a higher fail rate in playing against Spanish-speaking humans. They also mentioned that the game is similar to a board game they remember from their childhood.
Physics news on Phys.org
First time I've ever played this.

It took me a while to think of words to try.

Then it took a while longer to work out how to post my result.

Wordle 393 5/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨🟨🟨
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Likes fresh_42
DrGreg said:
First time I've ever played this.

It took me a while to think of words to try.

Then it took a while longer to work out how to post my result.

Wordle 393 5/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟨🟨⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨🟨🟨
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
It is surprising how many 5 letter words exist in English. E.g. mathematics provides many: field, torus, rings, slope, chain, prime, and many I have forgotten again.

A friend of mine always starts with 'EARLY' and 'PIOUS'.

Last edited:
That's kind of fun! I knew of wordle but had never tried it until just now.

I already play the spelling bee every day. It's like a monkey on my back and I really don't want another one of these games. I remember my mom used to play crosswords and jumbles and other games like that. I thought maybe it kept her mind nimble but I don't get the sense that it slowed down the dementia that eventually came.

JT Smith said:
I already play the spelling bee every day. It's like a monkey on my back and I really don't want another one of these games. I remember my mom used to play crosswords and jumbles and other games like that.
My father was an addict of sudoku published in the Sunday papers. Later, he got interested in Wordle. He even played it in his last morning at home.

Likes hutchphd
fresh_42 said:
Of course the classic is "adieu" (don't need no stinkin' o).
I had a brief but torrid affair with WORDLE. I had the good sense, after getting back-to-back two word solutions, to set it down and move away slow...but it is a good game. Maybe I'll just have one more...

Greg Bernhardt said:
My wife and I are very competitive!
WOMEN can be like that. I Hope it doesn't turn into a MELEE. Or create a CHASM between you two. That can grow to an OCEAN.

• Haha
Likes DennisN, Abhishek11235, Maren and 4 others
They sometimes have real mean constellations. Imagine you have found 4 letters and it is *IGHT.

fresh_42 said:
They sometimes have real mean constellations. Imagine you have found 4 letters and it is *IGHT.
Then the next try should be FHLMN and if that doesn't give it then you have to try RSTW (the T and H could be doubled)

phinds said:
Then the next try should be FHLMN
As far as I know, FHLMN isn't a valid word.

DrGreg said:
As far as I know, FHLMN isn't a valid word.
Ah. Right. I have only played once and forgot that it doesn't accept non-word entries.

Wordle 393 3/6

🟩⬜🟨⬜🟩
🟩🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

fresh_42 said:
I play in both NYT in English and a daily Spanish one. It is quite remarkable how different my solution distributions are. My Spanish distribution has a significantly lower average with 3 guesses being the most common while my English distribution is basically symmetric around 4 with 4 being the most common. However, I have a significantly higher fail rate in Spanish.

My (unscientific) theory being that the structure of Spanish makes it easier to place vowels consistently. However, constellations where you can insert basically any two consonants if you have three correct letters are much more common in Spanish, making it much more prone to failing.

Also, thank me later:
https://octordle.com/
πŸ˜›

That's the point - you have to try valid words. FHLMN is not a word. But LEMON gets you 3 of the 5 letters.

fresh_42 said:
I always start
WEARY and PIOUS unless the first gives very good information like today. The W is more useful than L in my experience.

• Informative
Likes Wrichik Basu
And I learned that hight is indeed a word...wee! a new archaic word.

For what it's worth, the game is similar to a board game I remember from my childhood in the UK, called Mastermind. Instead of guessing a 5-letter word, you had to guess a sequence of 4 colours. And instead of playing against a computer, you played against a human question setter.

DrGreg said:
For what it's worth, the game is similar to a board game I remember from my childhood in the UK, called Mastermind. Instead of guessing a 5-letter word, you had to guess a sequence of 4 colours. And instead of playing against a computer, you played against a human question setter.
There is also Super Mastermind where I believe there is an extra color in the sequence as well as more colors to pick from.

A big difference to Wordle being that all ”words” are allowed.

Edit: iirc, Mastermind will also not tell you which colors are correct, just that there are x correct colors in the correct place and y correct colors in the wrong place.

Wordle 395 3/6

⬜⬜🟨🟩🟩
⬜🟨⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Orodruin said:
Wordle 395
I conclude that Wordle changes at midnight local time. Where I am it is 23:54 and I can still see Wordle 394.

DrGreg said:
I conclude that Wordle changes at midnight local time. Where I am it is 23:54 and I can still see Wordle 394.
I have been asking this myself from the very first riddle. How come that it changes at midnight although NYC is six hours away? Now I know. Btw., Madrid is almost as West as Swansea is. Just saying.

fresh_42 said:
Madrid is almost as West as Swansea is. Just saying.
Spain is definitely in the wrong time zone …

Orodruin said:
Spain is definitely in the wrong time zone …
But London and Bordeaux are also equally in the west.

Right now it's 11 pm-ish where I'm at. I already played Wordle this morning and it shows that I've played. I next reset the time zone on my laptop such that it now reads 2 am tomorrow. Wordle offered me tomorrows game. Hence, I strongly suspect Wordle uses the date stamp supplied by your own device.

Yup. I just changed my date to July 8th, as I was out of town that day and missed the game. I checked what the word was and remembered what it was and hence:

Wordle 384 1/6

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

And, I've now set my clock and calendar back to 'automatic', so no more shenanigans.

FWIW

Pretty happy with this one …

Daily Octordle #176
6️⃣5️⃣
πŸ”Ÿ4️⃣
7️⃣8️⃣
3️⃣9️⃣
Score: 52
octordle.com

Greg Bernhardt said:
My wife and I are very competitive!
Same here. We used to solve a wordle in Spanish and French every night (we both speak those languages, English too hard for us). Always a war, many times no winner. It was all fun until she got a word in 1 shot ("fumer" -- to smoke, in French). I got twice words in 2 shots but I never reach her record. We don't play anymore.

Wrichik Basu said:
Wordle 395 4/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Did you use exactly the same words as I did except the second guess? πŸ˜†
Orodruin said:
Wordle 395 3/6

⬜⬜🟨🟩🟩
⬜🟨⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Likes Wrichik Basu
OmCheeto said:
And, I've now set my clock and calendar back to 'automatic', so no more shenanigans.
It is not clear to me that PF should abet and provide voice to such a WORDLE scoflaw. These are serious infractions.
You think you can quit? I've heard it a million times

hutchphd said:
You think you can quit? I've heard it a million times
I can quit any time I want to.
I just don't want to.

Vanadium 50 said:
I can quit any time I want to.
I just don't want to.
My doctor is completely incompetent. He says, I have a problem with alcohol. Such nonsense! I have a problem without.

Likes PhDeezNutz
In case you missed.

Likes scottdave and Astronuc