Work against an electric field due to a point charge

In summary: So the m was just a red herring?In summary, the problem asks for an expression for the work required to increase the radius of a charged particle moving at a constant speed in a circular motion around a fixed point. The work done against the electric field can be calculated using the equation W = qV, where q is the charge being moved and V is the change in electric potential. The equation for electric field is given, and the work can be found by integrating from the initial radius to the final radius. The mass of the particle is not necessary for this calculation.
mhen333

Homework Statement

I need help seeing if I did this right...

This is from Fundamentals of Physics, 8th edition, volume 2. By Jearl Walker.
Chapter 24, problem 88.

A particle of positive charge Q is fixed at point P. A second particle of mass m and negative charge -q moves at a constant speed in a circle of radius [tex]r_{1}[/tex] centered at P. Derive an expression for the work W that must be done by an external agent on the second particle to increase the radius of the circle of motion to [tex]r_{2}[/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]

W_{\vec{E}} = -\int_{r_{1}}^{r_{2}} \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{r}

[/tex]
[tex]
\vec{E} = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}} \frac{Q}{r^2} \hat{r}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I'm thinking. The work against the electric field is just the integral above. Since the particle stays on an equipotential surface, I should only have to worry about work outward, right?

Here's what I have:

[tex]

W_{total} = W_{\vec{E}} = \left(\frac{1}{r_{2}} - \frac{1}{r_{1}}\right) \left(\frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\right)

[/tex]

Please help point out if I've done something wrong!-Mike

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your idea is correct, but your first equation is wrong. Usually gravity is ignored because the gravitational force is small compared to the electric force.

I think I figured out where I went wrong in my equation.

So I'm confused, where does the mass 'm' come in?

In brief, Work = Force times distance. So your equation for work should be

[tex] W_{\vec{E}} = -\int_{r_{1}}^{r_{2}} q \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{r} [/tex]

Where the force is qE, q being the charge that's moved, and E is the field due to the charge Q.

Also, I should mention that you are correct. Work is done only when the charged is moved along a radial path.

Besides the approach that I mentioned in my previous post, you can also use the fact that Work = qV where q is the charge that's being moved, and V is the change in electric potential.

What you calculated in your work below, was the change in electric potential, not the work. All you have to do is change the "W" to "V" and multiply through by the charge q.

You were on the right track. Just forgot the definition, W = qV. So now you have two ways to look at it.

mhen333 said:

Homework Equations

[tex]

W_{\vec{E}} = -\int_{r_{1}}^{r_{2}} \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{r}

[/tex]
[tex]
\vec{E} = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}} \frac{Q}{r^2} \hat{r}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I'm thinking. The work against the electric field is just the integral above. Since the particle stays on an equipotential surface, I should only have to worry about work outward, right?

Here's what I have:

[tex]

W_{total} = W_{\vec{E}} = \left(\frac{1}{r_{2}} - \frac{1}{r_{1}}\right) \left(\frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\right)

[/tex]

Please help point out if I've done something wrong!

-Mike

Thank you so much!

I've been nearly pulling my hair out over this.

1. What is meant by "work against an electric field due to a point charge"?

When a charged particle is placed in an electric field created by a point charge, it experiences a force that can either attract or repel it. Work against this electric field refers to the amount of energy needed to move the charged particle against the direction of the electric force.

2. How is the work against an electric field due to a point charge calculated?

The work against an electric field due to a point charge is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the electric field by the displacement of the charged particle in the direction opposite to the electric force.

3. What factors affect the amount of work done against an electric field due to a point charge?

The amount of work done against an electric field due to a point charge is affected by the magnitude of the electric field, the distance between the charged particle and the point charge, and the magnitude of the charge on the particle.

4. Can the work against an electric field due to a point charge be negative?

Yes, the work against an electric field due to a point charge can be negative if the charged particle moves in the direction of the electric force. This indicates that the electric field is doing work on the particle, rather than the particle doing work against the field.

5. How does the work against an electric field due to a point charge relate to the potential energy of a charged particle?

The work against an electric field due to a point charge is equal to the change in potential energy of the charged particle. When a charged particle is moved against the direction of the electric force, its potential energy increases and vice versa.