1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work Against Friction

1. Oct 9, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    You push an object of mass slowly, partway up a loop-the-loop track of radius , starting from the bottom, where the normal force to the track is vertically upward, and ending at a point a height above the bottom. The coefficient of friction between the object and the track is a constant .Find the work you do against friction.

2. Relevant equations Work against friction= Friction Force x Displacement

3. The attempt at a solution
    Not how to get the height of the car. I belive that the friction part would simply be (Kinetic Friction)x(Normal Force). But I'm not entirely sure about how to get the normal force either

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2007 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to the forums Darth,

In what direction (relative to the surface) does the normal force act?

4. Oct 9, 2007 #3
    I think that it acts towards the center of the loop

5. Oct 9, 2007 #4

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Do they give any numbers or variables?

6. Oct 9, 2007 #5
    No, no numbers are given

7. Oct 9, 2007 #6
    the variables are m-mass Radius-R an ending point of h<R and the coefficient of friction is u

8. Oct 9, 2007 #7

learningphysics

Homework Helper

Suppose theta is the angle the surface forms with the horizontal... what is the normal force in terms of theta. What is the frictional force?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?