What is the work done against the spring force in joules?

In summary, after trying to solve a problem involving a suspended mass and a vertical spring, the speaker was unable to find the correct answer. They converted units and used the equations f=kx and w=1/2kx^2, but still did not get the correct answer of 0.21 J. They instead got 0.1962 J, and are seeking help in finding their mistake.
smile97
so i have tried this problem fifty million times and i can't get the right answer. hopefully someone can help. when a 75 g mass is suspended from a vertical spring, the spring is stretched from a length of 4.0 cm to a length of 7.0 cm. If the mass is then pulled downward an additional 10 cm, what is the total work done against the spring force in joules? i converted grams to kilograms and cm to m and used the equation f=kx and then plugged those numbers into w=1/2kx^2. i can't get the correct answer of 0.21 J. please help

Physics news on Phys.org
unfortunately, i get 0.1962 J; a wrong one .

i get the correct answer of 0.21J

k=24.5
x=0.13

plug them in and out pops the answer

What is work against spring force?

Work against spring force is the amount of energy that is required to compress or extend a spring. This energy is stored in the spring as potential energy until the spring returns to its original state.

How is work against spring force calculated?

The work against spring force can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the spring by the distance the spring is compressed or extended. This can be represented by the equation W = F * d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

What factors affect the amount of work against spring force?

The amount of work against spring force is affected by the force applied to the spring, the distance the spring is compressed or extended, and the spring constant. The spring constant is a measure of how stiff the spring is and determines how much force is needed to compress or extend it.

Can work against spring force be negative?

Yes, work against spring force can be negative if the force applied to the spring is in the opposite direction of the spring's displacement. This means that the spring is returning to its original state and is releasing the stored potential energy.

What are some real-life examples of work against spring force?

Some real-life examples of work against spring force include compressing a spring in a pen, stretching a rubber band, or compressing a car's shock absorbers. These all require energy to be applied in order to compress or extend the spring.