1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work along a line integral

1. May 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle is attracted towards the origin by a force proportional to the cube of its distance from the origin. How much work is done in moving the particle from the origin to the point (2,4) along the path y = x^2 assuming a coefficient of friction [tex]\mu[/tex] between the particle and the path?

3. The attempt at a solution

For the path, set x = t. Thus, y = t^2

[tex]\vec{r}(t) = t\hat{i} + t^2\hat{j}[/tex]
    [tex]\vec{r}'(t) = \hat{i} + 2t\hat{j}[/tex]

Because we're going from the origin to (2,4), t goes from 0 to 2.

For the force, we know that:

[tex]\left\|F\right\| = {k(x^2 + y^2)}^{3/2}[/tex]

I want this ideally in vector form, but the best I could come up with:
    [tex]{\left\|F\right\|}^{1/3} = kx\hat{i} + ky\hat{j}[/tex]

My main problem is I can't really use [tex]{\left\|F\right\|}^{1/3}[/tex] to calculate [tex]\int_{C} {F\cdot dr}[/tex]. If I could just find a way to express F in vector form, I'm pretty much off to the races. (Because I can then calculate the work done by friction by finding the normal to [tex]\vec{r}(t)[/tex], multiplying it by [tex]\mu[/tex], and dotting it with [tex]\vec{r}'(t)[/tex] from [tex]0\leq t \leq 2[/tex], etc. etc.)

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The vector (x*i+y*j)/sqrt(x^2+y^2) points away from the origin in the direction of (x,y) and has length 1. Just take that vector and adjust it's length and direction.

4. May 19, 2009 #3
    How would I adjust for the "cube of the distance" though ? Looking at the numerator of that unit vector, there isn't much, I think, that one can do with [tex](x\hat{i} + y\hat{j})^3[/tex]

5. May 19, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The cube of the distance is r^3=(x^2+y^2)^(3/2), like you said. If u=(x*i+y*j)/sqrt(x^2+y^2) has length 1, shouldn't r^3*u have length proportional to r^3? What does that vector simplify to? (x*i+y*j)^3 doesn't even mean anything.

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  6. May 19, 2009 #5
    (facepalm of realization)

I'd probably multiply r^3 and u together, wouldn't I.

Then slap on the k at the front of the product, and equate it to F.

7. May 19, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure, where k is going to be negative if you want it to point towards the origin.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook