Work and Energy and Friction

In summary, Homework Statement 1 states that according to an object's distance vs. force (parallel) graph, the work done in this process as the object moves from 2 m to 8 m is 1650 J. Homework Statement 2 states that a book is pushed up an 8 degree inclined plane with an initial speed of 11 m/s. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the book and the plane is 0.15, the distance up the incline the book will slide is 41.5 m.
nikhi

Homework Statement

1) According to an object's distance vs. force (parallel) graph, what is the work done in this process as the object moves from 2 m to 8 m?
2) a book is pushed up an 8 degree inclined plane with an initial speed of 11 m/s. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the book and the plane is 0.15, what is the distance up the incline the book will slide?

Homework Equations

W=Force*distance
friction=mu(Normal Force)
conservation of mechanical energy equation:
E1=E2 + Wf

The Attempt at a Solution

the first ones answer is 1650 J but i have no idea why!
second one: (IS WRONG, SO PLZ HELP)
.5 mv^2 = friction*distance
distance=.5v^2/ .15 *9.8 *cos 8
d= 41.5

Physics news on Phys.org
nikhi said:

Have you attempted this question yet? Show us your working.
Perhaps show us the graph as well so we know whether you are doing it right.

nikhi said:
Kinetic energy is not only used to do work against friction. There should be a third term in this equation

There's no graph! It was a question my teacher asked. NO one has a clue where to start!
AH i figured it out, i assumed there would be no potential energy because no height/distance was given at all, but i realize now:

.5v^2 -gy /mu * g

You solve for y:
mgsintheta + friction =ma
a= 2.82 m/s^2

v^2 = v(initial)^2 + 2ax

x is 21.4 m

correct, and thanks!

nikhi said:

Homework Statement

1) According to an object's distance vs. force (parallel) graph, what is the work done in this process as the object moves from 2 m to 8 m?
2) a book is pushed up an 8 degree inclined plane with an initial speed of 11 m/s. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the book and the plane is 0.15, what is the distance up the incline the book will slide?

Homework Equations

W=Force*distance
friction=mu(Normal Force)
conservation of mechanical energy equation:
E1=E2 + Wf

The Attempt at a Solution

second one: (IS WRONG, SO PLZ HELP)
distance=.5v^2/ .15 *9.8 *cos 8
d= 41.5

Hi nikhi, Welcome to Physics Forums.

I future please submit each separate question to a separate post. This avoids having overlapping discussions of different problems in a single thread.

For your first problem I don't see the distance versus force graph mentioned. It sounds like it will be required to solve the problem.

For the second problem you've missed a source of acceleration: Friction is acting, which you have accounted for, but so is a fraction of the gravitational acceleration acting in the down-slope direction. Draw the Free Body Diagram.

What is work and energy?

Work is defined as the transfer of energy from one object to another by applying a force over a distance. Energy is the ability to do work or cause change.

What is the relationship between work and energy?

Work and energy are closely related in that work is a measure of the energy transferred from one object to another. In other words, the amount of work done on an object is equal to the change in energy of that object.

What is friction and how does it affect work and energy?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. It affects work and energy by reducing the amount of energy transferred from one object to another, thus making it more difficult to do work.

What are the different types of friction?

The three main types of friction are static friction, kinetic friction, and rolling friction. Static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it. Kinetic friction is the force that acts on moving objects, slowing them down. Rolling friction is the force that resists the motion of a rolling object.

How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces, making them slide against each other more easily. Additionally, smoother surfaces can also reduce friction as there are fewer bumps for the surfaces to rub against each other.