1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work and Energy - angular force with friction

1. Oct 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A cart loaded with bricks has a total mass of 13.8 kg and is pulled at constant speed by a rope. The rope is inclined at 20.8° above the horizontal and the cart moves 30.4 m on a horizontal floor. The coefficient of kinetic friction between ground and cart is 0.7 . The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s[itex]^{2}[/itex] . How much work is done on the cart by the rope?

2. Relevant equations

I'm clearly missing something I need because I can't really get close to a solution.

F[itex]_{friction}[/itex] = [itex]\mu_{k}[/itex] * F[itex]_{normal}[/itex]
    ω = F[itex]_{rope}[/itex] * Δx * COSθ

3. The attempt at a solution

I've gotten this far, but there must be something I'm missing because I still can't get any kind of solution out of it.
    F[itex]_{g}[/itex] = 135.2N
    F[itex]_{rope}[/itex]x = F[itex]_{friction}[/itex]
    F[itex]_{n}[/itex] = F[itex]_{g}[/itex] - F[itex]_{rope}[/itex]y
    F[itex]_{rope}[/itex]x = F[itex]_{rope}[/itex] * COSθ
    F[itex]_{rope}[/itex]y = F[itex]_{rope}[/itex] * SINθ

ω = F[itex]_{rope}[/itex] * 30.4 * COS(20.8)
    F[itex]_{rope}[/itex] = ?

I've got about 15 more problems just like this to be done tonight so quick responses would be awesome and I REALLY hope its just some small equation or equality that i'm missing.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted