What Is the Expected Velocity of a Ball Launched by a Compressed Spring?

In summary, the conversation is about an attempt to solve a problem involving a projectile launcher with a spring constant of 50 N/m and a compressed spring of 18 cm. The launcher also includes a piston, spring, and a ball with specific weights. The question is what the expected velocity of the ball will be when launched vertically, taking into account the gravitational potential energy gained by each object's center of mass. The correct answer is 4.13 m/s. The solution involves calculating potential energy at full compression and at release, and setting them equal to each other to find the velocity. There are also questions about whether to use the displacement of the spring or the center of mass and whether to include the masses of the spring and
BlueDevil14
I have attempted to solve this problem repeatedly, but I cannot get a correct answer. Any help would be wonderful.

The Problem
A certain kind of projectile launcher has a spring constant of 50 N/m and you compress the spring 18 cm before it locks. When compressed, the spring is 2 cm tall. The piston and spring each weigh 50 g and the ball weighs 10 g. If you launch the ball vertically, what do you expect the velocity of the ball to be as it leaves the launcher? Don't forget the gravitational potential energy gained as each object's center of mass moves vertically.

The correct answer is 4.13 m/s

My attempt at a solution

Potential energy at full compression must equal kinetic energy minus gravitational potential energy at the point when the ball is released

At full compression: U = 1/2*k*d^2 - m*g*h1 where d is displacement
At release: K=.5*m*v^2 where m is effective mass (.08 kg)
U=-m*g*h2

Therefore: 1/2*k*d^2 - m*g*h1=.5*m*v^2-m*g*h2
or 1/2*k*d^2 + m*g*(h2-h1)=.5*m*v^2

Questions
1. When calculating U of gravity, should h2-h1 be equal to the displacement of the spring (that is what I have been doing) or is it the center of mass of the ball and spring?
2. Do I use the mass of the spring and ball in calculating U of gravity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, wrong forum. I have posted my question under homework

1. What is a spring?

A spring is a flexible elastic object that stores mechanical energy when it is stretched or compressed. It is typically made of metal or plastic and can come in different shapes and sizes.

2. How does a spring store energy?

A spring stores energy by converting the force applied to it into potential energy. When the spring is stretched or compressed, it exerts a restoring force that is equal and opposite to the applied force, and this causes the spring to store potential energy.

3. What is the relationship between work and energy in a spring?

The work done on a spring is equal to the change in its potential energy. This means that the work done to stretch or compress a spring is stored as potential energy in the spring. The more work done on the spring, the more potential energy it will have.

4. How does the spring constant affect the work and energy in a spring?

The spring constant, represented by the letter 'k', is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It determines how much force is needed to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance. The greater the spring constant, the more work is needed to stretch or compress the spring, and therefore the more potential energy it will have.

5. What is the difference between potential and kinetic energy in a spring?

Potential energy in a spring is the energy stored when it is stretched or compressed, while kinetic energy is the energy it has when it is in motion. As a spring is released, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, and vice versa when the spring is stretched or compressed.