1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work and Energy of a mass

1. Nov 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Problem: Two objects of different mass start from rest, are pulled by the same magnitude net force, and are moved through the same distance. The work done on object A is 500 J. After the force has pulled each object, object A moves twice as fast as object B. (a) How much work is done on object B? (b) What is the kinetic energy of object A after being pulled? (c) What is the kinetic energy of object B after being pulled?

2. Relevant equations

[itex]W_n_e_t = \frac{1}{2}mv_2^2 - \frac{1}{2}mv_1^2[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I believe that the answer to part (a) is 500 J also, since both objects are pulled through the same distance by the same force. I attempted to solve part (b) by using the above equation, but since I don't know the mass or the velocity, it didn't work out.

If someone could help me, I would greatly appreciate it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Eternal Sky! :smile:

ah … the whole point of the work-energy theorem … ∆W = ∆KE … is that you don't need to know how to calculate KE …

(so you don't even need the whole of that equation of yours :wink:)

you just calculate ∆W, and ∆KE is automatically the same!! :biggrin:
  4. Nov 2, 2008 #3
    Ah, I see. Thanks a lot for your help!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?