What are the Work and Energies of Mass A and B in a Pulled System?

In summary, the problem involves two objects of different mass being pulled by the same net force through the same distance. The work done on object A is 500 J and after being pulled, it moves twice as fast as object B. The equations used are W_n_e_t = \frac{1}{2}mv_2^2 - \frac{1}{2}mv_1^2 and ∆W = ∆KE. The answers for parts (a) and (b) are both 500 J, as the work done and change in kinetic energy are the same for both objects.
Eternal Sky

Homework Statement

Problem: Two objects of different mass start from rest, are pulled by the same magnitude net force, and are moved through the same distance. The work done on object A is 500 J. After the force has pulled each object, object A moves twice as fast as object B. (a) How much work is done on object B? (b) What is the kinetic energy of object A after being pulled? (c) What is the kinetic energy of object B after being pulled?

Homework Equations

[itex]W_n_e_t = \frac{1}{2}mv_2^2 - \frac{1}{2}mv_1^2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe that the answer to part (a) is 500 J also, since both objects are pulled through the same distance by the same force. I attempted to solve part (b) by using the above equation, but since I don't know the mass or the velocity, it didn't work out.

If someone could help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Eternal Sky said:
[itex]W_n_e_t = \frac{1}{2}mv_2^2 - \frac{1}{2}mv_1^2[/itex]

I believe that the answer to part (a) is 500 J also, since both objects are pulled through the same distance by the same force. I attempted to solve part (b) by using the above equation, but since I don't know the mass or the velocity, it didn't work out.

Hi Eternal Sky! :smile:

ah … the whole point of the work-energy theorem … ∆W = ∆KE … is that you don't need to know how to calculate KE …

(so you don't even need the whole of that equation of yours :wink:)

you just calculate ∆W, and ∆KE is automatically the same! :biggrin:

Ah, I see. Thanks a lot for your help!

1. What is work?

Work is defined as the amount of force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

2. How is work related to energy?

Work and energy are closely related concepts. Work is the transfer of energy from one form to another or the change in energy of an object. In other words, work done on an object results in a change in its energy.

3. How do you calculate the work done on an object?

The work done on an object can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. This can be expressed as W = F x d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

4. What is the unit for work?

The unit for work is joule (J) in the International System of Units (SI). It can also be expressed in Newton-meter (N·m) or kilogram-meter squared per second squared (kg·m^2/s^2).

5. How does the mass of an object affect its work and energy?

The mass of an object affects its work and energy by influencing the amount of force required to move the object a certain distance. The greater the mass, the more force is needed to move the object and therefore more work is done. The mass also affects the potential and kinetic energy of an object, as they are both dependent on mass.