1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work and Energy of snow

1. Feb 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A sled is being pulled across a horizontal patch of snow. Friction is negligible. The pulling force points in the same direction as the sled's displacement, which is along the +x axis. As a result, the kinetic energy of the sled increases by 38% . By what percentage would the sled's kinetic energy have increased if this force had pointed 62o above the +x axis?

2. Relevant equations
    The Work-Energy Theorem

3. The attempt at a solution
    image.jpg

So I get, that the kinetic energy is reduced by 35% .

Correct answer: the kinetic energy increases by 18% .

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If the problem statement is complete and correctly transcribed in your original post, without checking your math, you are correct. It would be best that you double-check the problem statement.

4. Feb 16, 2015 #3
    The problem statement is correct 100%. Maybe I understood the problem incorrectly?

5. Feb 16, 2015 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

As written, what you've done looks correct --- the x-component of the force is 100 % for the first case, and is reduced for the second. Looks like a really lousy problem statement, and an even worse job of proof-reading/checking matches of answers with problems. Let us know whether anyone fesses up, or how they rationalize the answer that's claimed.

6. Feb 16, 2015 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think it is understanding indeed. I fail to understand what W0 represents, for example.
    You are given that Ekin + F ##\cdot## s = 1.38 Ekin

Now try to grasp what you are being asked. The 17.8% book answer is correct.

7. Feb 16, 2015 #6
    Wo represents work with which other works (W1 and W2) are compared.

I understand your method, but I don't understand why my method didn't work.

8. Feb 16, 2015 #7

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Still don't understand. If you write W1 = F ##\cdot## s , then I don't understand why you consider that to be 138 % of W0 instead of 38%

9. Feb 16, 2015 #8
    As the problem says, the kinetic energy of Wo increases by 38% .

If I say, that the very first energy, with which we will compare other energies, is equal to 100% , then the second energy W1, which is along +x axis, must be equal to 138% (increases by 38%) .

10. Feb 16, 2015 #9

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Fine with me. But then you must write W1 = W0 + F ##\cdot## s.
    There is no friction, the original kinetic energy doesn't go away.

And energies are not along any axis. Energies are numbers. But I understand what you mean.

11. Feb 16, 2015 #10

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

BvU has you pointed in the right direction --- stay with him, and forget everything I said --- I misread the problem horribly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted