1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work and Energy Question

1. Nov 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A weightlifter works out at the gym each day. Part of her routine is to lie on her back and lift a 44 kg barbell straight up from chest height to full arm extension, a distance of 0.54 m.

2. Relevant equations
    If the weightlifter does 24 repetitions a day, what total energy does she expend on lifting? Assume 25 % efficiency.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I looked at it, and could only see that the only change in energy is work. Work is 230J per repetition. I tried multiplying 230J by 24 in order to get the answer, but it was not correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2009 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What about the efficiency? Only 25% efficiency means that 3/4 of the work done is wasted, and only 1/4 of it goes to actually lifting the weight.

4. Nov 17, 2009 #3
    Ya, I took the 230 J and multiplied it by 24, then by .25 but it won't accept the answer

5. Nov 17, 2009 #4

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's because multiplying it by 0.25 is not the right thing to do. You should read my post again, more carefully.

6. Nov 17, 2009 #5
    Ok I got the answer, its 22,000 Joules.
    Part 3 of the question: How many 480 Calorie donuts can she eat a day to supply that energy?
    I thought I could just convert the joules to calories by dividing by 4.184, then divide again by 480 to get number of donuts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook