Deriving the Coefficient of Rolling Friction for a Cart on an Incline

In summary, the coefficient of rolling friction for the car moving down the incline plane with a constant speed is given by mu = tan(theta) - m/[(M*cos(theta))]
Shay10825
Hello. I need some help with the following problem.

There is a cart on an incline and a pulley with a suspended block.

Assuming that (the force of friction)= (mu)(N) symbolically show that the coefficient of rolling friction for the car moving down the incline plane with a constant speed is given by mu = tan(theta) - m/[(M*cos(theta))]

M is the mass of the car and
m is the mass of the suspended weight over the incline

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't get the part with the pulley and the block. Is there a rope from the pulley to the cart or something? The main part of the question just sounds like the rolling friction is in balance with the acceleration of gravity...

I drew a picture
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/9471/phylab11fn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Shay10825 said:
I drew a picture
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/9471/phylab11fn.jpg

It may be a good idea to draw the forces on that picture :wink:

ok
http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/5497/phylab26gk.jpg

The formula you placed at the bottom of the diagram is incorrect. You need to resolve all forces so that they are parallel and perpendicular to the inclined plane (with the exception of the weight of the block)

I copied it directly from the worksheet I was given

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/6411/phylab32ml.jpg

There's nothing wrong with that equation if you understand what it means. It's an expression of the equilibrium condition. But that's just the starting point. You need to figure out (in terms of known quantities):
What's F(parallel)?
What's f?​

If you understand what the equation is saying, these should be easy questions to answer.

F(parallel) = mgsin(theta)
f = mgsin(theta) - mg

right?

What exactly does the F stand for? I know the f is the force of friction.

Thanks

Last edited:
Shay10825 said:
F(parallel) = mgsin(theta)
Right.
f = mgsin(theta) - mg
Yes. But f is the force of friction (rolling friction, in this case); express it in terms of the normal force.

What exactly does the F stand for? I know the f is the force of friction.
The way I read the diagram and the equation is that:
f is the friction force
F is the tension in the string pulling the cart
F(parallel) is the component of the cart's weight parallel to the incline​

ok thanks:smile: i figured it out now

Thanks

1. What is the coefficient of rolling friction?

The coefficient of rolling friction is a dimensionless value that represents the amount of resistance between a rolling object and the surface it is moving on. It is a measure of how much force is required to keep an object rolling at a constant speed.

2. How is the coefficient of rolling friction calculated?

The coefficient of rolling friction can be calculated by measuring the force needed to keep an object rolling at a constant speed on a flat surface, and then dividing that force by the weight of the object. This can be represented by the equation μ = F/W, where μ is the coefficient of rolling friction, F is the force required to keep the object rolling, and W is the weight of the object.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of rolling friction?

The coefficient of rolling friction can be affected by several factors, including the type of material the object is rolling on, the surface roughness of the material, the weight and shape of the object, and the speed at which the object is rolling.

4. How does an incline affect the coefficient of rolling friction?

An incline can affect the coefficient of rolling friction by changing the direction of the force that is acting against the object. The force of gravity pulling the object down the incline can increase the amount of resistance the object experiences, resulting in a higher coefficient of rolling friction.

5. Why is it important to determine the coefficient of rolling friction?

Determining the coefficient of rolling friction is important in many practical applications, such as designing vehicles and machinery, calculating the amount of energy needed to move objects, and understanding the physics of rolling motion. It can also help engineers and scientists make more accurate predictions and improve the efficiency of various systems.