Solving for Velocity of Spring-Supported Mass

In summary, a spring with a stretched length of 40 cm exerts a force of 20 N on a block weighing 8 kg. When the force is removed, the block's velocity can be calculated using the formula KE(final) - KE(initial) = W, where W is the work done on the block by the spring. The average force on the block should be considered when calculating the work done by the spring.
CaptainSFS

Homework Statement

A spring is stretched a distance of Dx = 40 cm beyond its relaxed length. Attached to the end of the spring is an block of mass m = 8 kg, which rests on a horizontal frictionless surface. A force of magnitude 20 N is required to hold the block at this position. The force is then removed.

Homework Equations

W=Fd

KE=(.5)(m)(v)^2

KE(final) - KE(initial) = W

The Attempt at a Solution

I first found work, which I calculated (20N)(.4m) = 8 J

Then I plugged it into: 8 J = (.5)(8kg)(0m/s) - (.5)(8kg)(v)^2

8 = 0 - 4(v)^2

I end up with -(sqrt(2)) or +(sqrt(2)), but neither of those are correct. Any ideas with what I am doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Keep in mind that the spring exerts a force of 20 N only when the spring is stretched to 40 cm. Think about how much force the spring would exert if the block were at the equilibrium position (its relaxed position). The force is not constant during the motion from the 40 cm mark to the relaxed position.

oh, how would i calculate the velocity then, if it's not 20 N when it returns? or if i use the same formula (KE(final) - KE(initial) = W), how would I calculate that Work?

Consider the average force on the block when determining the Work done on it from the spring.

oh alright thanks. I see now, that was easier than I was thinking. thanks!

1. What is the equation for calculating the velocity of a spring-supported mass?

The equation for calculating the velocity of a spring-supported mass is v = √(2k/m) * √(A^2 - x^2), where k is the spring constant, m is the mass of the object, A is the amplitude of the oscillation, and x is the position of the mass.

2. How do you determine the spring constant in the equation?

The spring constant can be determined by conducting an experiment where the displacement of the mass from equilibrium is measured and plotted against the corresponding force applied by the spring. The slope of the resulting graph will be equal to the spring constant.

3. Can the velocity of a spring-supported mass be negative?

Yes, the velocity of a spring-supported mass can be negative. This would indicate that the mass is moving in the opposite direction of the initial displacement.

4. How does the amplitude affect the velocity of a spring-supported mass?

The amplitude has a direct effect on the velocity of a spring-supported mass. As the amplitude increases, the velocity will also increase. This is because a larger amplitude results in a larger distance for the mass to travel, leading to a higher velocity.

5. Can the velocity of a spring-supported mass be greater than the initial velocity?

Yes, the velocity of a spring-supported mass can be greater than the initial velocity. This is due to the energy stored in the spring being released during oscillation, resulting in a greater velocity than the initial velocity at equilibrium.