1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work and Energy

1. Oct 20, 2005 #1
    Please let me know if I am on the right track for these problems.
    1) A weight lifter picks up a barbell and
    1. lifts it chest high
    2. holds it for 5 minutes
    3. puts it down.
    Rank the amounts of work W the weight lifter performs during this three operations. Label the quantities as W1, W2, and W3. Justify you ranking order. ---> I think that the most amount of work is when it is lifted chest high, since there is a force and displacement involved. After that, would me when he puts it down, becuase gravity helps, and there is a displacement. When he holds it up for five min there is no work becuase there is no displacement.
    2)Estimate the amount of work the engine performed on a 1200 kg car as it accelerated at 1.2 m/s2 over a 150 meter distance. ----> Well since the equation for work is force times distance, it would be (1.2 m/s2)(1200kg)(150m) So the total work would be 216,000 J
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2005 #2
    I think you are right for both questions, you've used the equations:

[tex]Wd=F \times d[/tex] and
    [tex]F=m\times a[/tex]

Wd is work done in Nm (Newton meters)
    F is the force in N (Newtons)
    d is the distance in m (meters)
    m is the mass in kg (kilogrammes)

a is the acceleration in [tex]\frac{m}{s^2}[/tex] (meters per second squared)

I think you have interpreted and used these equations correctly.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?