1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work and Force Problem!

1. Oct 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

When a 0.045 kg golf ball takes off after being hit, its speed is 42 m/s.
    (a) How much work is done on the ball by the club?

---> 39.69 J
    (b) Assume that the force of the golf club acts parallel to the motion of the ball and that the club is in contact with the ball for a distance of 0.030 m. Ignore the weight of the ball and determine the average force applied to the ball by the club.

2. Relevant equations

WNCF= [tex]\DeltaMETOTAL[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

for part a I did this and got the correct answer in Joules: 0.5(0.045kg)(422

I am confused at what to do in the next part. I did the same attempt but confused when I am told to ignore the weight of the ball....
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2008 #2
    2. Relevant Equations

Wncf= [tex]\Delta[/tex]MEtotal
  4. Oct 16, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay: the kinetic energy of the ball changed from 0 to (1/2) mv2. That energy had to come from somewhere- the work done on it.

Now do you know that when on object accelerates from 0 with constant (or average) acceleration a to t seconds it reachs speed a*t and goes a distance (1/2)at2. You know that the ball accelerated to 42 m/s while going 0.30m. That gives two equations in a and t. Once know a, the average acceleration, F= ma gives the average force.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?