1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work and Force Question

1. Oct 8, 2007 #1
    52 kg box is pushed 7.0 meters by a force with a magnitude of 149 N. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.25. Determine normal force, force of gravity and frictional force.

For the normal force I have 52 * 9.8 = 509.6 N Which is also the the force of gravity. However which is positive and which is negative? I assume normal force is positive since it pushes up against gravity pushing downward? Also, how would I convert Newtons into Joules?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As long as you are consistent, it doesn't matter which direction is positive or negative. Generally, down is usually taken as negative. Now don't confuse Newtons, a unit of force, with Joules, a unit of energy or work. How much work does each force do on the box?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?