How Do You Calculate Normal Force and Work Done in Physics Problems?

• Thread starter LostInScience
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Work
In summary, the box with a mass of 52 kg is pushed a distance of 7.0 meters by a force of 149 N. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.25. The normal force is calculated to be 509.6 N, which is also equal to the force of gravity. It is assumed that the normal force is positive since it pushes up against the force of gravity pushing downward. The conversion between Newtons and Joules should not be confused, as Newtons are a unit of force and Joules are a unit of energy or work.
LostInScience
52 kg box is pushed 7.0 meters by a force with a magnitude of 149 N. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.25. Determine normal force, force of gravity and frictional force.

For the normal force I have 52 * 9.8 = 509.6 N Which is also the the force of gravity. However which is positive and which is negative? I assume normal force is positive since it pushes up against gravity pushing downward? Also, how would I convert Newtons into Joules?

Physics news on Phys.org
LostInScience said:
52 kg box is pushed 7.0 meters by a force with a magnitude of 149 N. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.25. Determine normal force, force of gravity and frictional force.

For the normal force I have 52 * 9.8 = 509.6 N Which is also the the force of gravity. However which is positive and which is negative? I assume normal force is positive since it pushes up against gravity pushing downward? Also, how would I convert Newtons into Joules?
As long as you are consistent, it doesn't matter which direction is positive or negative. Generally, down is usually taken as negative. Now don't confuse Newtons, a unit of force, with Joules, a unit of energy or work. How much work does each force do on the box?

I can confirm that your calculation for the normal force is correct. The normal force is always perpendicular to the surface and therefore acts in the opposite direction of the force of gravity. So in this case, the normal force would be positive (509.6 N) and the force of gravity would be negative (-509.6 N).

To convert Newtons (N) into Joules (J), you would need to know the distance over which the force is applied, as work is equal to force multiplied by the distance traveled. In this case, since the box is pushed 7.0 meters, you would multiply the force (149 N) by the distance (7.0 m) to get the work done, which would be 1043 J.

What is work?

Work is defined as the amount of force applied over a distance. It is measured in joules (J).

What is force?

Force is a push or pull that causes an object to accelerate or change its motion. It is measured in newtons (N).

How is work calculated?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance over which the force is applied. The formula for work is W = F x d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

What is the difference between work and power?

Work is the amount of energy transferred to an object by a force, while power is the rate at which work is done. Power is measured in watts (W) and is calculated by dividing work by time.

How does the direction of force affect work?

The direction of force does not affect the amount of work done, as work is only dependent on the magnitude of the force and the distance over which it is applied. However, the direction of force does affect the direction of motion of the object on which the force is applied.