1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work and Friction Problem

1. Mar 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 46 kg skier slides down a slope 21.7 m long, incilned at an angle θ to the horizontal. The magnitude of the kinetic friction force is 41 N. The skier s initial speed is 0.65 m/s and the speed at the bottom of the slope is 7.19 m/s. determine the angle θ from the law of conservation of enegery. Air resistance is neglible

2. Relevant equations

PE=mgy, KE= 1/2mv^2, W=F*d, Ff=μmgsinθ

3. The attempt at a solution
    My attemp at the equation was based on the law of conservation of energy with this resulting formula

(mgh+1/2mv^2-mgh-1/2mv^2)/Ff*d=sinθ

I cant figure out how to find the height without an angle or vice versa, i ve been trying to figure it out for the last little bit with no success. I feel like I m missing just one step

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2013 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

How much work was done against friction during the slide?

4. Mar 11, 2013 #3
    Hey I think i figured it out, I took sin theta outta my energy conservation since it gave me the resisting force of 41N. I then used the energy conservation formula to find height and then O/H sin -1 to find my angle which turned out to be sig fig 12 degrees. It feels right but I guess I ll find out and post again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted