Calculating Work Done by Gravity on a Ski Slope

In summary, the work done by gravity on Bob as he skis down the hill is determined by multiplying his mass (75kg) with the vertical rise of the hill (25.0m). Alternatively, you can also multiply the component of the force of gravity along the incline with the length of the incline. The use of SOHCAHTOA is not necessary in this scenario.
rottentreats64
3. On a ski weekend in Colorado, Bob, whose mass is 75kg, skis down a hill that is inclined at an angle of 15º to the horizontal and has a vertical rise of 25.0m. How much work is done by gravity on Bob as he goes down the hill

for this problem i thought you had to use sohcahtoa to find out what the hypotnuse is but then i thought all you had to do is 10*the distance 25 but I am not sure which is right?

Physics news on Phys.org
rottentreats64 said:
3. On a ski weekend in Colorado, Bob, whose mass is 75kg, skis down a hill that is inclined at an angle of 15º to the horizontal and has a vertical rise of 25.0m. How much work is done by gravity on Bob as he goes down the hill

for this problem i thought you had to use sohcahtoa to find out what the hypotnuse is but then i thought all you had to do is 10*the distance 25 but I am not sure which is right?

It is enough to multiply the force of gravity, mg, with the height of the hill. You'd get the same result if you multiplied the component of the force of gravity along the incline with the length of the incline (i.e. the hypothenuse).

k thank you

What is work?

Work is the measurement of the amount of force applied to an object over a distance. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance moved in the direction of that force.

What is gravity?

Gravity is the natural force of attraction between two objects with mass. The strength of this force is dependent on the mass of the objects and the distance between them. On Earth, gravity is what keeps objects from floating away into space.

How does gravity affect work?

Gravity affects work by adding or subtracting from the force applied to an object. For example, if a force is applied in the same direction as gravity, the work is increased. However, if a force is applied in the opposite direction of gravity, the work is decreased.

What is the formula for calculating work in a gravity problem?

The formula for calculating work in a gravity problem is W = Fd cosθ, where W is work, F is the force applied, d is the distance moved, and θ is the angle between the force and the direction of movement.

How is work affected by the distance between two objects?

The work is affected by the distance between two objects as it determines the amount of force needed to move an object. The farther apart two objects are, the more work is required to overcome the force of gravity between them.