1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work and Kinetic Energy and elastic collision

1. Jul 4, 2004 #1
    hey all... have a question:

a body of 2 kg mass makes an elastic collision with another body at rest and afterwards continues to move in the original direction but with one-fourth of it's original speed. What is the mass of the struck body?

I started with comparing kinetic energy, then took a look at momentum... but I'm just not sure how I can solve for body #2's mass when I don't have a resultant velocity or anything... please point me in the right direction.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2004 #2

FZ+

But you do have a resultant velocity, as it is elastic. Therefore, speed of approach must equal the relative speed after the collision.

V = Z - W

Where V is the initial velocity, Z is the resulting velocity of the struck object, and W is the resulting velocity of the first object.

4. Jul 5, 2004 #3
    Let V be final velocity and v be initial velocity of the 2 kg mass. Take the basic equation and multiply each side by v:

V/v = [(m1-m2)/(m1 + m2)]

We know that the ratio of V/v = 1/4. Therefore

1/4 = (m1 - m2)/(m1 + m2)

Cross multiply:

m1 + m2 = 4m1 - 4m2

0 = 3m1 - 5m2

0 = 3 (2 kg) - 5 m2

5. Jul 5, 2004 #4
    Sorry; I meant divide each side by v

6. Jul 12, 2004 #5
    thanks... appreciate it more than you know

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?