1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work and kinetic energy problem

1. Oct 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A roller coaster car with a mass of 2000 kg is initially moving at 10 m/s (when it is at the bottom of the "loop-the-loop" portion of the roller coaster track). The loop has a diameter of 16 meters.

The combined effect of air resistance and friction is to produce an average force of 1500 N on the roller coaster car.

How far will the car have moved vertically when its speed has been reduced to 5 m/s?

2. Relevant equations

K= 1/2(mv^2)f - 1/2(mv^2)i
    s=r(theta)
    r/(3.14/2) = [r-(delta y)/((3.14/2)-theta)]

3. The attempt at a solution

I was able to find the change in kinetic energy to be 75,000 J.
    If I could draw a picture in here I would but I have made a triangle and used the bottom equation above to set up solving for the angle that the rollercoaster would reach at its peak vertical height. However I cant come up with a formula that will hold true for all angles. Does anyone have any ideas as where to move further

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted