1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work and kinetic energy?

1. Jul 16, 2006 #1
    work and kinetic energy????

i was wondering if anyone could help with this proplem:

A skier pulled by a tow rope up a frictionless ski slope that makes an angle of 12° with the horizontal. The rope moves parallel to the slope with a constant speed of 1.0 m/s. The force of the rope does 930 J of work on the skier as the skier moves a distance of 7.2 m up the incline.

If the rope moved with a constant speed of 2.0 m/s, how much work would the force of the rope do on the skier as the skier moved a distance of 7.2 m up the incline?

At what rate is the force of the rope doing work on the skier when the rope moves with a speed of 1.0 m/s

At what rate is the force of the rope doing work on the skier when the rope moves with a speed of 2.0 m/s?

all that i have is w=f*d*cos(theta) please help

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2006 #2
    ok i tried sumation of work=1/2mv(final)^2-1/2mv(inital)^2. no go. then i tried to used w=fdcos(theata) 930=f*7.2*cos(12). nothing. does speed matter when dealing with force and work?!?

4. Jul 16, 2006 #3

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The formula w=fdcos(theta) is perfectly fine as well as sum of the work = final kinetic energy - initial kinetic energy.

so the work done by the rope is T d cos (theta) where T is the tension in the rope and theta is the angle between the rope and the direction of the tension, right? So the question becomes this: if the skier is pulled at constant speed at 1 m/s or at 2 m/s, what does it imply for the tension in th erope? . Is it the same at 1m/s than it is at 2 m/s? That will andwer your question.

For the power (or rate of work) of a force, you must divide the work done by the time during which the force was in action.

5. Jul 17, 2006 #4
    thank you very much

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?