1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work and kinetic energy

1. Mar 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two blocks of mass m1 and m2 (m1 > m2) slide on a frictionless floor and have the same kinetic energy when they hit a long rough stretch (coeff. of kinetic friction > 0), which slows them down to a stop. Which one goes farther?

2. Relevant equations

W = Fd..iono?!?

3. The attempt at a solution

i think the answer is mass 2 because it has a smaller mass which will allow it to travel a farther distance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2008 #2
    i think its a tie because they have the same KE and using the energy balance they would cancel out and go just as far
  4. Mar 4, 2008 #3
    just so you know..

answer came out to be m2..
    go figure?!?!
  5. Mar 4, 2008 #4
    Yes. I believe it is m2.

Because it has a lesser mass, in order for the kinetic energies to be the same, it must be traveling faster than the heavier mass.

Although it has less momentum, it also has less of a frictional force opposing it, and because it has a faster initial speed, it should go further than the heavier block.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?