Calculating Work and Kinetic Energy for Moving Blocks with a Compressed Spring

In summary, the problem involves a moving block, a compressed spring, and a system of equations including F=ma, W=ΔT, and the energy stored in a spring. The goal is to find the distance the block falls and determine if it will start moving back upward. To solve, the spring constant needs to be found and a 2nd order differential equation may be involved.
xzibition8612

Homework Statement

Block A is moving downward at 5 ft/s at a certain time when the spring is compressed 6 inches. The coefficient of friction between block B and the plane is 0.2, the pulley is light, and the weights of A and B are 161 and 193 lb, respectively.

a) Find the distance that A falls from its initial position before coming to zero speed
b) Determine whether or not body A will start to move back upward

Homework Equations

F=ma
W=ΔT
work by spring = (-1/2)(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

The answers are a) 4.78 ft b) A will start back upward

No idea how to start. I suppose I apply F=ma to each A and B separately? Then somehow invoke the work energy equation to figure it out? How do I handle the spring? And the spring compressed 6 inches confuses me. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• pic.png
    pic.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 332
Physics news on Phys.org
xzibition8612 said:
W=ΔT
work by spring = (-1/2)(x)
The energy stored in a spring = ½kx²

As mass A loses potential energy, that energy reappears in the system in other forms. Write the equation that accounts for this. I presume that, since the spring has compressed 6", then the masses have moved the same 6". This should allow you to find the spring constant, k.

(Your sketch shows the spring stretching, whereas I expect it should be drawn as a compression spring.)

Beyond this, I'm afraid I can't help further. I think you'd be looking at a 2nd order DE?

1. What is the definition of work?

Work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance it moves in the direction of the force. In other words, work is the energy transferred to an object by applying a force and causing it to move a certain distance.

2. How is work related to kinetic energy?

Work and kinetic energy are closely related because when work is done on an object, it gains kinetic energy. This is because work is defined as the change in an object's kinetic energy.

3. What is the formula for calculating work?

The formula for calculating work is W = F x d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance. This formula is only applicable when the force and distance are in the same direction.

4. Can work be negative?

Yes, work can be negative. This occurs when the force and distance are in opposite directions. For example, if a person pushes a box up a ramp, the force is directed upwards while the displacement is in the horizontal direction. In this case, the work done by the person is negative.

5. What is the relationship between work and power?

Power is the rate at which work is done. The relationship between work and power can be expressed as P = W/t, where P is power, W is work, and t is time. This means that the more work that is done in a given amount of time, the greater the power output.