Calculating Work Done on an Object with a Constant Force

In summary, a constant force of magnitude 10 N, making an angle of 150 degrees counterclockwise with the direction of increasing x, acts on a 2 kg object. The work done on the object as it moves from the origin to the point with position vector (2m)i - (4m)j can be calculated using the formula W = \vec{F}\cdot \vec{\Delta r} and the force value of 10Cos 150 x (-4.47), obtained using the Pythagorean theorem. However, this answer may be incorrect and further explanation is needed. A quick question is asked about finding the total work done when pushing a box up a ramp with a given force and distance.
problem
a constant force of magnitude 10 N makes an angle of 150. (measured counterclockwise) with the direction of increasing x as the force ascts on the 2 kg object. how much work is done on the object by the force as the object moves from the origin to the point with position vector. (2m)i - (4m)j?

what did till now is w = f x d and force was equal to 10Cos 150 x (-4.47)
i used the pathoagorious theomrem and got the value -4.47. 2^2 + 4^2 and then found the root for that answer. but stil my answer is wrong. Could someone please explain me what i am doing wrong. Thanks a lot for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
problem said:
a constant force of magnitude 10 N makes an angle of 150. (measured counterclockwise) with the direction of increasing x as the force ascts on the 2 kg object. how much work is done on the object by the force as the object moves from the origin to the point with position vector. (2m)i - (4m)j?

what did till now is w = f x d and force was equal to 10Cos 150 x (-4.47)
i used the pathoagorious theomrem and got the value -4.47. 2^2 + 4^2 and then found the root for that answer. but stil my answer is wrong. Could someone please explain me what i am doing wrong. Thanks a lot for the help.

[tex]W = \vec{F}\cdot \vec{\Delta r} = (10 \cos(150) \vec{i}+10 \sin(150) \vec{j})\cdot(2\vec{i}-4\vec{j})[/tex].

another quick question. There is a ramp at an angle now a box is being pushed up with certain force up a certain distance. The mass of the block is given. How can i figure out what the total work done is?

What is work?

Work is the transfer of energy from one object to another. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

How is work related to kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. Work is directly related to kinetic energy because when work is done on an object, it gains kinetic energy.

What is the formula for calculating work?

The formula for calculating work is W = F * d, where W is work, F is the force applied, and d is the distance moved in the direction of the force.

What is the unit of measurement for work?

The unit of measurement for work is the joule (J).

Can work be negative?

Yes, work can be negative. This occurs when the force applied to an object is in the opposite direction of the motion of the object. In this case, work is considered to be done against the motion and is given a negative value.