1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work and line integral

1. May 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi everybody! I would like to make sure I properly solved that problem because I find the result strange:

Given a force field ##F_x = axy^3##, ##F_y = bx^2y^2##, ##F_z = cz^3##.
    Calculate the work with the line integral ##\int_{C} \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{r}## from point ##P_1(1,0,0)## to ##P_2(0,1,1)## along:
    a) a line;
    b) an helix by the z-axis.

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay so first I parametered the line:
    [tex]\vec{r}(\tau) = (1-\tau, \tau, \tau) \mbox{ with } \tau \in [0,1][/tex]
    Is the first component of my vector correct? I have a little doubt about it.
    [tex]\implies \dot{\vec{r}}(\tau) = (-1,1,1) \\
    \implies A = \int_{0}^{1} \vec{F} \cdot \vec{r} \cdot d\tau \\
    = \int_{0}^{1} (a (1 - \tau) \tau^3, b(1-\tau)^2\tau^2, c\tau^3)(-1,1,1)d\tau \\[/tex]
    Here again, I have a little doubt about what I did with the force field vector. Is that correct?
    [tex]\int_{0}^{1} (-a\tau^3 + a\tau^4 + b\tau^2 - 2b\tau^3 + b\tau^4 + c\tau^3) d\tau \\
    a[\frac{\tau^5}{5} - \frac{\tau^4}{4}]_0^1 + b[\frac{\tau^5}{5} + \frac{\tau^3}{3} - \frac{\tau^4}{2}]_0^1 + c[\frac{\tau^4}{4}]_0^1 \\
    A = -\frac{a}{20} + \frac{b}{30} + \frac{c}{4}[/tex]
    So yeah here is my result for (a). I'd like to know if I use the right method before I attempt to solve (b).

What do you guys think?

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers and suggestions, I appreciate it.

Julien.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks good. (In your integral for A you meant to type a dot over the r vector.)

4. May 7, 2016 #3
    @TSny Ah yes, thanks a lot. I leave it as it is so that your message doesn't look strange in the feed :)

Great that it is correct. I'm struggling to find the equation for (b) though, I don't even get how to search for it. There is a picture with the problem, I attached it.

Thanks for all your help, I'm always making progress here.

Julien.

Attached Files:

5. May 7, 2016 #4
    Is the equation ##x(\tau) = \cos \tau, y(\tau) = \sin \tau, z = \tau## actually?

6. May 7, 2016 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Close. Make sure the path goes through the final point (0, 1, 1).

7. May 7, 2016 #6
    @TSny Oh yeah I said that kind of randomly but I think I get it now. What about that: ##x(\tau) = \cos( \tau), y(\tau) = \sin (\frac{\tau}{2}), z(\tau) = \sin(\frac{\tau}{2})## with ## \tau \in [0,\pi]##?

8. May 7, 2016 #7

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is no longer a helix. You were much closer before.

9. May 7, 2016 #8
    @TSny Oops. The integral was also not that nice anymore. :biggrin:

Okay another try: ##x(\tau) = \cos(\pi \tau), y(\tau) = sin(\frac{\pi}{2} \tau) , z(\tau) = \tau ## with this time ##\tau \in [0,1]##.

10. May 7, 2016 #9

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is not a helix either and it doesn't pass through P2. But it's pretty close!

11. May 7, 2016 #10
    @Ah I think I was thinking too much about the path. This should be it: ##x(\tau) = cos(\frac{\pi}{2} \tau) , y(\tau) = sin(\frac{\pi}{2} \tau), z(\tau) = \tau ##, right?

12. May 7, 2016 #11

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right. Good luck with the integration. A little tedious. Can you use software?

13. May 7, 2016 #12
    @TSny I guess I could, but I'll first give it a go. See you in 20 hours :DD

14. May 7, 2016 #13

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

:smile: (It's not THAT bad.)

15. May 7, 2016 #14
    @TSny At the end I used a calculator because I must go to sleep. Did you also calculate it? I get ##A = \frac{-a}{5} + \frac{2b}{15} + \frac{c}{4}##.

I have an extra question: in the next exercise, they ask for which values a, b, c does this force field have a potential, and what is it. I answered the first one like that:

##\vec{F} \mbox{ is conservative, if } \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{F} = 0\\
    \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{F} = (\frac{\partial F_z}{\partial y} - \frac{\partial F_y}{\partial z})\vec{e_x} + (\frac{\partial F_x}{\partial x} - \frac{\partial F_z}{\partial x})\vec{e_y} + (\frac{\partial F_y}{\partial x} - \frac{\partial F_x}{\partial y})\vec{e_z} \\
    = 0 \vec{e_x} + 0 \vec{e_y} + (2bxy^2 - 3axy^2) \vec{e_z} \\
    = xy^2 (2b - 3a) \vec{e_z} \\
    \implies \vec{F} \mbox{ is conservative, if } 2b - 3a = 0 \\
    \implies b = \frac{3}{2} a##
    Is that a correct answer? I'm very unexperienced with gradients. What does it mean physically that z doesn't play a role in the "conservativeness" of the field?

Thanks a lot.

Julien.

16. May 7, 2016 #15

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's what my computer got.
    Yes, very good.
    I'm not sure what you are asking here. In this particular problem, only the z-component of F depends on z. Thus, the curl of F does not involve z. But, I don't think that addresses your question.

17. May 8, 2016 #16
    @TSny Thanks again for your answer. Nevermind my question, I think it was senseless. :)

To calculate the potential, can I do the integral of the force field?
    [tex]
    \phi = - \int \vec{F} d\vec{r} = - \int (axy^3, \frac{3}{2} ax^2y^2, c z^3) d\vec{r} \\
    = - (\frac{a}{2} x^2 y^3, \frac{a}{2} x^2 y^3, \frac{c}{4} z^4) + \vec{c} [/tex]

If that's correct, I guess I could also determine the constant with the help of the points ##P_1## and ##P_2##, right?

Thanks a lot in advance for your answer.

Julien.

18. May 8, 2016 #17

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Note that you ended up with a vector expression for something that should be a scalar function. Suppose you integrated the force along a path from the origin to some arbitrary point (x, y, z)? What would the integral represent in terms of ##\phi(x, y, z)##?

19. May 8, 2016 #18
    Okay, I am not sure to properly understand what you said but I give it a go using some resources from Internet too. It's kind of tedious, so after the 1st part I'll skip the steps:

[tex]
    \vec{F} = -\nabla \phi = -(\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x}, \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial y}, \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial z}) \\
    \implies axy^3 = - \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x} \implies d\phi = - \int axy^3 dx \\
    \implies \phi = -\frac{a}{2} x^2y^3 + g(y,z) \\
    \implies \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial g(y,z)}{\partial y} = -\frac{3}{2} a x^2 y^2 \\
    \implies g(y,z) = -\frac{3}{2}a \int x^2y^2 dy = -\frac{a}{2}x^2y^3 + h(z) \\
    \implies \frac{\partial h(z)}{\partial z} = -cz^3 \\
    \implies h(z) = -c \int z^3 dz = -\frac{c}{4} z^4 \\
    \implies \phi = -ax^2y^3 - \frac{c}{4} z^4
    [/tex]

What do you think? Did I do that right now?

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Julien.

20. May 8, 2016 #19

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is the middle expression of the last line correct if you use the expression for ##\phi## at the end of the previous line?

But your method is good.

My earlier suggestion was to integrate F along a path from the origin to an arbitrary point (x, y, z). Up to a sign, this will give you the change in ##\phi##: ##\phi(x, y, z) - \phi(0,0,0)##. Thus, you will have an expression for ##\phi(x, y, z)##. The result is independent of path, so you can choose a path that makes it easy to do the integral. But this method is not very different than your method.

21. May 8, 2016 #20
    @TSny Thanks for your answer (so quick!). I don't find the error though. I get it that the partial derivative of my final expression of Φ with respect to x doesn't match with the line you pointed out, but I didnt find yet why.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted