Calculating Work Done by a Variable Force: Tips and Techniques

In summary, the problem involves finding the work done by a variable force with constant magnitude and direction always directed towards a given point. The solution can be obtained using calculus by integrating the force with respect to the displacement, or by approximating the angle to be the average of the initial and final angles and using the cosine of this average angle to calculate the work.
DumSpiroSpero

Homework Statement

A force F acts over the block as show in the figure. F have a constant magnitude, but has a variable direction. The direction of F, at any given instant, always is directed to the point P.
Evaluate the work done by the force F through the displacement d between the points R and M.
sin 37º = cos53º = 3/5; cos 37º = sin53º = 4/5.

uDoXbLC.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really can't solve this one. I tried to take only the horizontal axis ( $$F\cos(37º)$$ at R and $$F\cos(53º)$$ at M), because the vertical components are perpendicular to the displacement $$\vec{d}$$. However, since the force have a variable direction, I don't have any idea of how to evaluate the work done between R and M; the angle increases from 37º to 53º, but I don't know how to do that. I never faced any problem in which the force have a variable direction.
I would appreaciate any tips. Thanks!
Answer: $$W = \frac{5}{7}\cdot F \cdot d$$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
However, since the force have a variable direction, I don't have any idea of how to evaluate the work done between R and M...
Hint: calculus.

$$ W = \int \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{d} = \vec{F} \int d\vec{d} = \vec{F} \cdot \vec{d} = F \cdot d \cdot \cos \theta$$, right? But $$\theta$$ ranges from 37º to 53º, which the definite integral would give sin(53º) - sin (37º) = 4/5 - 3/5 = 1/5 (because the $$\int \cos(x) dx = \sin(x)$$); therefore W = F*d/5. Where I get it wrong?
The work done by a variable force is given by the area under the graph F x d, but the force F is constant, while just the angle are changing...

Also, this is a high school book that explictly says that all questions can be solved without calculus. I'm using the very few knowledge that I have about work and integration that I obtained in a Lang's calculus textbook...
But I would appreciate some explanation even with calculus.

Last edited:
https://www.khanacademy.org/math/mu...-find-the-work-done-by-a-vector-field-example
I was watching this video about calculating work using integration. But in this example, F is written in function of t and r also is written in function of t, 0 < t < 2pi, since t changes.
In my problem, the only thing that is changing is the angle and the distance, but I don't know how to relate the distance d to the angle at any instant as a function $$ \vec{d}\theta$$ nor the force respect to the angle $$\vec{F}(\theta)$$ so that I could integrate with the upper bound 53º (in radians) and the lower bound 37º(radians).
Any further help?

You need to know how ##\theta## varies with ##x## all right - this is the lynchpin so just telling you will amount to "doing your homework for you" ;)

Have a play with trigonometry... maybe it is easier to look at x varying with ##\theta##?
Try formally writing out how you are defining your coordinate system... and you are not restricted to using the ones implied, so you can try picking different angles and see how the relation for work looks.

Last edited:
Likes DumSpiroSpero
Thanks! I'm still trying...
Two daft approximations that I have done:
$$F_{m} = \frac{F_{o} + F_{f}}{2} = \frac{F \cdot \cos (37º) + F\cdot \cos (53º)}{2} = F\cdot \frac{7}{10}$$; therefore, $$ W = F_{m} \cdot d = \frac{7}{10} \cdot F \cdot d$$, which is somewhat close to 5Fd/7...
A better approximation:
$$\theta_{m} = \frac{\theta_{o} + \theta_{f}}{2} = \frac{37º+53º}{2} = 45º$$; therefore $$W = F \cdot \cos (\theta_{m}) \cdot d = \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} \cdot F \cdot d \approx 0,707 \cdot F \cdot d$$, which is closer to 5Fd/7 than the previous approximation o_O

But I'll keep trying the solution with integration until find the 5Fd/7 :)

The last post does not make sense.
If your method does not include calculus then you you need to explain why not: what is your reasoning?
If you do not follow suggestions, nobody can help you.

1. What is the difference between work and mechanical energy?

Work is the transfer of energy that occurs when a force is applied to an object and causes it to move. Mechanical energy is the sum of kinetic energy and potential energy in a system. In other words, work is a process that results in a change in energy, while mechanical energy is a measurement of the energy present in a system.

2. How is work calculated?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. This can be represented by the equation W = F * d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What is the relationship between work and kinetic energy?

Work and kinetic energy are closely related, as work is the process of transferring energy and kinetic energy is a form of energy associated with motion. The work done on an object is equal to the change in kinetic energy of that object, as shown by the work-energy theorem: W = ∆KE.

4. Can work be negative?

Yes, work can be negative. This occurs when the force applied to an object is in the opposite direction of the object's motion. In this case, the work done on the object will result in a decrease in its kinetic energy, and the work will be represented by a negative value.

5. How does mechanical energy change in a closed system?

In a closed system, mechanical energy remains constant. This is due to the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. Therefore, the total amount of mechanical energy in a closed system will remain the same, even if it is converted between potential and kinetic energy.