1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work and ramps

1. Mar 25, 2010 #1
    Hi,
    I'm not quite getting this.

Say we lift a block of weight 10N through a vertical height of 1 metre. So the work done is 10 x 1 = 10J. This 10J equals the g.p.e. Of the block.

Now we pull the block up the same height of 1 metre but along a smooth, straight ramp (no friction between block and ramp surface) for a sloping distance 5 metres. The force is acting parallel to the surface of the ramp.

At the end of the pulling up the ramp the block still has a g.p.e. of 10J. So we can work out the force required to pull the block = g.p.e gained / horizontal distance moved = 10 / 5 = 2N

But I feel I am cutting fast and loose to use the g.p.e which is gained by vertical motion to calculate a force in a horizontal (or at least sloping) direction. It just doesn't feel valid to me. What am I missing? Sorry question is a bit vague but that reflects my view on this.

Thanks

Clive

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Try calculating the force required parallel to the ramp to just overcome gravity: F = mg sinθ

Use that to figure out the work done and compare that to the increase in gravitational potential energy.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook