Solving Bill and Jill's Line Painting Problem

• Thread starter ritwik06
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
Thank you for pointing that out. I have corrected the mistake.In summary, Bill and Jill were hired to paint a line on the road. Bill could paint the line in B hours and Jill could paint the line in J hours. Starting from opposite ends, Bill and Jill worked until the line was painted. The expression for the number of hours that Bill worked is t, where t is the time it took for both Bill and Jill to complete the line.
ritwik06

Homework Statement

Bill and Jill are hired to paint a line on the road. If Bill works by himself, he could paint the line in B hours. If Jill works by herself, she could paint the line in J hours. Bill starts painting the line from one end and Jill begins painting the line from the other end one hour later. They both work until the line is painted. Find the expression for the number of hours that Bill works.

The Attempt at a Solution

One hour work of Bill and Jill= 1/B and 1/J respectively.

Time taken by both, if both start working simultaneously= BJ/(B+J) ...(i)

As Jill starts work an hour later, work still left= 1/J

Time taken by Bill to complete the remaining work=(1/J)/(1/B)=B/J ...(ii)
Total time for which Bill had to work= (B(J^2+J+B))/(J(B+J)) ...(i)+(ii)

But my answer doent match th given options, where is the mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
ritwik06 said:

Wouldn't the work still left = B-1

montoyas7940 said:
Wouldn't the work still left = B-1

No. If Jill works one hour less, an amount of work of 1/J is left undone.
What's wrong is that both Bill and Jill work to finish of this last (1/J) part of the line.

The way I read it, Bill completes a total of one hour of work before Jill begins. So if you look at the remaining work after 1 hour in terms of B then it is B-1 hour. I guess that might be better if written as B-(1/B) since Bill has completed 1/B out of B. Do we agree that 1 hour of Bills work is 1/B ?

Thanks Kamerling! and please I would ask others not to misguide me please. Thanks again kamerling

ritwik06 said:
and please I would ask others not to misguide me please.

Ha Ha, Ok I'll Bite.

[tex]\frac{B-(1/B)}{1/B+1/J}+1[/tex]

This is what I got. What did you end up with.

montoyas7940 said:
Ha Ha, Ok I'll Bite.

[tex]\frac{B-(1/B)}{1/B+1/J}+1[/tex]

This is what I got. What did you end up with.

I got this:
[tex]\frac{B(J+1)}{B+J}[/tex]

Wow... sorry.

ritwik06 said:

Homework Statement

Bill and Jill are hired to paint a line on the road. If Bill works by himself, he could paint the line in B hours. If Jill works by herself, she could paint the line in J hours. Bill starts painting the line from one end and Jill begins painting the line from the other end one hour later. They both work until the line is painted. Find the expression for the number of hours that Bill works.

The Attempt at a Solution

One hour work of Bill and Jill= 1/B and 1/J respectively.

Time taken by both, if both start working simultaneously= BJ/(B+J) ...(i)

Time taken by Bill to complete the remaining work=(1/J)/(1/B)=B/J ...(ii)
Total time for which Bill had to work= (B(J^2+J+B))/(J(B+J)) ...(i)+(ii)

But my answer doent match th given options, where is the mistake?

I think your basic reasoning is flawed. Your first calculation is the amount of time it would take to do the entire road if they both worked the entire time. Then you add to that the time it takes Bill to do one hour's worth of Jill's work. That does not follow.

I would do it this way:
Let t be the time Bill works. Then the time Jill works is t- 1. Together they paint (1/B)t+ (1/J)(t-1) fraction of the road. Since you want the time it takes to paint the entire road, (1/B)t+ (1/J)(t-1)= 1. Solve that equation for t.

Last edited by a moderator:
Product over sum?

What is the line painting problem that Bill and Jill are facing?

The line painting problem involves the challenge of evenly dividing a piece of land between two people, Bill and Jill, by painting a straight line through the center of the land.

What factors need to be considered in solving Bill and Jill's line painting problem?

Factors that need to be considered include the size and shape of the land, the desired placement of the line, and the tools or methods available for painting the line.

Can computer simulations be used to solve Bill and Jill's line painting problem?

Yes, computer simulations can be used to model different scenarios and predict the outcome of painting a line through the land. However, real-world factors such as terrain and weather may still affect the actual outcome.

What are some potential solutions for Bill and Jill's line painting problem?

Potential solutions may include using a surveying tool to precisely measure and mark the center of the land, using a string or rope to guide the painting of the line, or using a laser level for accuracy.

What are some limitations or challenges in solving Bill and Jill's line painting problem?

Some limitations or challenges may include the cost and availability of tools, the accuracy of measurements and markings, and the potential for human error in the painting process.