1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work angle (High school)

1. Jul 2, 2011 #1
    So I'm trying to get ahead of the class for next year and i've started reading this physics book, now I've come along to work and i'm slightly confused on whats happening.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A force of 10 Newtons to the north-east acts on an object as it moves 25 metres to the south-east. What is the work done by the force?

2. Relevant equations

W = F*d

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tryed to use trigonometry to solve this, but i don't think i done it correct as the answer is 0J

cos = A/h

a = 25

25/cos45 = h

h * 10 = W

I get around 353J which is completely wrong.

If anyone could help me out, it'd be great.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2011 #2
    synkk,

The problem does sound misleading with the term "north-easterly direction" as though it is not displaced exactly to the north east. However the 45 degree angle makes me think it is exactly to the north east (i.e. 45 degrees away from the north). Kudos on trying to get ahead!

4. Jul 2, 2011 #3
    Thank you i managed to solve a few more problems, my bad on not reading it properly :).

I'm going to update the thread with a new question which im frankly baffled at.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook