Calculating Acceleration, Work, and Power for a Sled Pulled at an Angle

In summary, a 12kg sled is pulled by a 15N force at an angle of 35 degrees horizontally along a frictionless surface. The acceleration of the sled is 1.0m/s^2, the work done on the sled in 3.0 seconds is 36.9J, and the power generated in pulling the sled is 12.29W. There may be ambiguity in the problem statement regarding the starting velocity, so an assumption may need to be made.
Draggu

Homework Statement

A 12kg sled is pulled by a 15N force at an angle of 35 degrees horizontally along a frictionless surface.

a) Calculate acceleration of the sled.
b) Calculate work done on the sled in 3.0 seconds.
c) Calculate the power generated in pulling the sled.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Fnet = ma

Let x be the net force.

15cos35 = x
x= 12.29N

12.29=12a
a=1.0m/s^2

b) If v1 is 0 in this case then I can solve it, my question is... is it 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
a) 12.29/12 is not 1

b) Is v1 = 0? Well, the problem statement as you presented it is pretty vague. You may have to make an assumption. If you do so, be sure to clearly state it as such.

The reason why I posted here because I was not sure if it was 0 and I thought somebody else would maybe have an answer..

1. What is "Work applied on an angle"?

"Work applied on an angle" refers to the amount of force applied to an object at a certain angle, resulting in work being done on that object.

2. How is the amount of work applied on an angle calculated?

The amount of work applied on an angle can be calculated using the formula W = Fd cosθ, where W is work, F is force, d is distance, and θ is the angle between the force and the direction of movement.

3. Does the angle at which work is applied affect the amount of work done?

Yes, the angle at which work is applied does affect the amount of work done. When the angle is 0°, the force is applied in the same direction as the movement, resulting in maximum work. As the angle increases, the amount of work decreases.

4. What is the difference between work applied on an angle and work done against an angle?

The difference between work applied on an angle and work done against an angle is the direction of the force. Work applied on an angle is when the force is applied at an angle, while work done against an angle is when the force is applied in the opposite direction of the movement.

5. How does the concept of work applied on an angle relate to real-life situations?

In real-life situations, work applied on an angle can be seen in various activities such as pushing a shopping cart, climbing stairs, or even lifting weights at an angle. Understanding the concept of work applied on an angle can help in optimizing the amount of work done and avoiding unnecessary strain or injuries.