1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work between two charges

1. Sep 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I get depressed and frustrated with every physics problem. The more studying and reading I do, the worse my grade gets. Talk about diminishing returns. Anyway, charges q1=1.65x10^-5 C and q2=-5.65x10^-5 C are placed 0.6 m apart. How much work must be done by an outside agent to move these charges slowly and steadily until they are 0.355 m apart?

2. Relevant equations

V=k/r(q1+q2)
    deltaV= -E*delta r
    -W=-qE*delta r

3. The attempt at a solution
    Attempt at the solution is more than likely wrong
    Vinitial=k/0.6(q1+q2)
    Vfinal=k/0.355(q1+q2)
    deltaV= final-initial

deltaV=-W*(-q)
    W=deltaV/q
    I got a really huge number. I used q=1.65x10^-5 because the positive charge will move to the negative charge.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2009 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What does V = k/r(q1+q2) represent? It is the electrostatic potential due to what? Are the charges in the denominator as the equation seems to imply?

4. Sep 14, 2009 #3
    V=k*(q1+q2)/r is the equation to find the electric potential.

5. Sep 14, 2009 #4
    That unfortunately gives the electric potential at a point that is equidistant from both charges q1 and q2 at a distance of r, and will not aid you at all in this question.
    You should consider how the overall potential energy of the system has changed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook