Calculating Work for a Variable External Pressure

In summary, to calculate the work done in this system, I will need to use the formula W=∫PdV or W=∫V1V2PdV, taking into account the changing external pressure and considering the entire range of volume change. Simply using W=PV will not give an accurate result.
ronaldor9

Homework Statement

Consider 5.5L of a gas at a pressure of 3 atm in a cylinder with a movable piston. The external pressure is changed so that the volume changes to 10.5L. Calculate the work done.

Calculate the work if the process is done in two steps. At the end of the first step the volume is 7L and after the second step the volume is 10.5L

Homework Equations

W=PV?

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure since the external pressure is not constant I don't think I can use W=PV to calculate work done.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'll need to use the formula for calculating work done in a non-constant pressure system, which is W=∫PdV. To calculate the work done in the first step, I'll use the initial and final volumes (5.5L and 7L) and integrate the external pressure over that range. Then for the second step, I'll use the final and initial volumes (7L and 10.5L) and integrate the external pressure again. Finally, I'll add the two values together to get the total work done in both steps.

Alternatively, I could use the formula W=∫V1V2PdV, where V1 and V2 are the initial and final volumes, respectively, and integrate the external pressure over the entire range of volume change (from 5.5L to 10.5L). This would give me the same result as the previous method.

In either case, the work done would depend on the external pressure changing during the process, so I cannot simply use W=PV. It's important to consider the entire range of volume change and take into account the changing pressure in order to accurately calculate the work done in this system.

Instead, I would need to use the formula W = ∫PdV, where P is the external pressure and dV is the change in volume. So for the first step, the work done would be W = ∫3dV, with the limits of integration being from 5.5L to 7L. For the second step, the work done would be W = ∫PdV, with the limits of integration being from 7L to 10.5L. Then, the total work done would be the sum of the work done in each step.

1. How do you calculate work for a variable external pressure?

To calculate work for a variable external pressure, you will need to use the formula W = PΔV, where W represents work, P is the external pressure, and ΔV is the change in volume. This formula is based on the concept of pressure-volume work, which states that the work done by a system is equal to the external pressure multiplied by the change in volume.

2. What units are used to measure external pressure?

The most common units used to measure external pressure are Pascals (Pa) or atmospheres (atm). However, other units such as pounds per square inch (psi) or millimeters of mercury (mmHg) may also be used depending on the context.

3. Can you provide an example of calculating work for a variable external pressure?

Sure! Let's say a gas in a container has an external pressure of 2 atm and undergoes a change in volume of 5 L to 10 L. Using the formula W = PΔV, we can calculate the work as follows: W = (2 atm)(10 L - 5 L) = 10 atm•L. This means that the work done by the system in this scenario is equivalent to 10 atmosphere-liters.

4. What are some real-world applications of calculating work for a variable external pressure?

Calculating work for a variable external pressure is commonly used in thermodynamics and fluid mechanics. It can be applied to various systems, such as engines, pumps, and turbines, to analyze and optimize their performance. It is also used in industries such as manufacturing, energy, and aerospace engineering.

5. How does temperature affect the calculation of work for a variable external pressure?

Temperature can affect the calculation of work for a variable external pressure in two ways. First, it can impact the value of the external pressure itself, as temperature is a factor in determining the pressure of a gas. Second, temperature can also affect the change in volume, as gases tend to expand or contract with changes in temperature. Therefore, it is important to consider temperature when calculating work for a variable external pressure.