1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work by a non constant force

1. Jul 25, 2010 #1
    I don't know that if this is the right place to post this but it's safer than to post it in the general physics and get a warning
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    let say we have an object moving with a non constant acceleration and has a non constant mass where we have a(t) as any function like t^3 or (7t^2-3)/2t and m(t) also is a function of time and of course position changes with respect to time I know the formula for work is W= [tex]\int m*a dx[/tex] but in this case its m(t) and a(t) and x is also a function of t so how would the integral work?

2. Relevant equations
    W=integral (ma)dx

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2010 #2
    Use the fact that:

a(t) = \frac{dv}{dt}

to find the velocity - time equation:

v(t) = \int{a(t) \, dt} + C_{1}

where [itex]C_{1}[/itex] is an arbitrary integrating constant which can be determined only if you know the velocity at a particular instant in time [itex]v(t_{0}) = v_{0}[/itex]. Judging by what you had given in the statement of the problem, I do not see such kind of information.

After you had found [itex]v(t)[/itex]. you simply use:

v(t) = \frac{dx}{dt} \Rightarrow dx = v(t) \, dt

and substitute this into the integral for the total mechanical work. You integrate over t then.
  4. Jul 25, 2010 #3
    so in this case to calculate the work it would be necessary to know the velocity?
    ( I am assuming the information given is only a(t) and m(t) or F(t) and x(t))
  5. Jul 25, 2010 #4
    If you know [itex]a(t)[/itex] you need [itex]v(t_{0}) = v_{0}[/itex] to uniquely determine [itex]v(t)[/itex]. If you know [itex]x(t)[/itex], you can uniquely determine:

dx = \dot{x}(t) \, dt

and you don't need additional information.
  6. Jul 25, 2010 #5
    ok but like this I would need to integrate from t1 to t2 not from x1 to x2 right?
  7. Jul 25, 2010 #6
    Yes! Your bounds must be with respect to whatever the [itex]d(\ldots)[/itex] quantity is in the integral.
  8. Jul 25, 2010 #7
    ok so the question maybe seem strange but if I have a ball of ice which is being exposed to the sun light so the ice melts and it's moving in a straight line but is being pushed with a non constant force and I have x(t)(so also v(t) and a(t) , F(t) ,and I want to know the work done by the force from the time it is whole to where it melts what would be the general interface of the solution? should I get when m(t) is zero as dF(t)/da(t) =0?
    (btw I am making the problem up)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook