1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work (Calculus II)

1. Sep 9, 2008 #1
    "Work" (Calculus II)

This is a problem from the chapter called "Work":

A water tank in the form of an inverted right-circular cone is 29 ft across the top and 15 ft deep. If the surface of the water is 5 ft. below the top tank, find the work done in pumping the water to the top of the tank. Assume water weights W lbs. per cubic feet (which means your answer will be expressed in terms of W)

I have read it many times but I don't know what to do to solve it...please help, I really appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: "Work" (Calculus II)

Work is weight times distance. At a given distance h below the top of the tank take a slice of the water of thickness dh. The weight is volume of the slice times W. The work to pump it to the top is h*(volume of the slice)*W. Now you need to integrate that over the range of h that includes all of the water in the tank. Is that enough to get started? It's a lot like finding the volume but with those extra factors of W and h.

4. Sep 9, 2008 #3
    Re: "Work" (Calculus II)

thank you very much...i'm going to see if I can solve it using this :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?