Work don by a spring problem

In summary, a 6000 kg freight car with an unknown initial speed is brought to rest by two coiled springs with spring constants of 1600 N/m and 3400 N/m. After the first spring compresses a distance of 30 cm, the second spring acts with the first to increase the force as additional compression occurs. The car comes to rest after traveling a total distance of 80 cm. To find the car's initial speed, the energy stored in the springs must equal the initial kinetic energy of the car, which can be calculated using the equations for work and energy.
chevyboy86
A 6000 kg freight car rolls along rails with negligble friction. The car is brought to rest by a combination of 2 coiled springs. Both obey Hooke's law with k1=1600 N/m and k2=3400 N/m. After the first spring compresses a distance of 30 cm, the second springs acts with the first to increase the force as additional compression occurs in the graph.
The car comes to rest 50 cm after first contacting the 2 spring system. Find the car's initail speed.

I have no idea on how to do this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what the work and energy theorem is? You can use the fact that the when you integrate the Force and displacement then you get a work, which will also be a potential energy, which will also be a kinetic energy.

If you use superposition and the above info, then you will be able to get it.

but how do I find inital speed, the equations are for work done, not initial speed.

ok I'm giving this a shot, I found a similar problem in my book. They show vf= the square root of 2W/m and to find W, they multiplied the force by delta x. So for this problem, I added both forces of the springs to get 5000 N/m and multiplied it by .5m to get 2500J. I then used the books equation to find vf and when I plugged in all the numbers, I get .913 m/s. I'm not sure if this is right, but I took a shot at it.

A 6000 kg freight car rolls along rails with negligble friction. The car is brought to rest by a combination of 2 coiled springs. Both obey Hooke's law with k1=1600 N/m and k2=3400 N/m. After the first spring compresses a distance of 30 cm, the second springs acts with the first to increase the force as additional compression occurs in the graph.

The car comes to rest 50 cm after first contacting the 2 spring system. Find the car's initail speed.
Well there needs to be more information, such as are the springs acting in series or in parallel. I suspect in parallel.

Each spring stores mechanical energy, as a function of deflection.

The lighter spring deflects 30 cm, then presumably deflects another 50 cm while the stiffer spring is deflecting, for a total of 80 cm. The second spring compresses only 50 cm.

The energy stored in the springs equals the initial kinetic energy of the freight car (1/2 mV2) which was traveling at some speed, V, which is to be determined.

This might help - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pespr.html

1. What is a spring problem?

A spring problem refers to a physics problem that involves the behavior and properties of a spring, which is a flexible object that can store and release energy when it is stretched or compressed.

2. How do you calculate the work done by a spring?

The work done by a spring can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the spring by the distance the spring is stretched or compressed. The formula is W = F * x, where W is the work done, F is the force, and x is the distance.

3. What factors affect the work done by a spring?

The work done by a spring is affected by the force applied, the distance the spring is stretched or compressed, and the stiffness of the spring (measured by its spring constant). Other factors such as the material and temperature of the spring may also have an impact.

4. How does the work done by a spring relate to its potential energy?

The work done by a spring is equal to the change in potential energy of the spring. When a spring is stretched or compressed, it gains or loses potential energy, respectively. This potential energy is converted into work when the spring returns to its original state.

5. Can the work done by a spring ever be negative?

Yes, the work done by a spring can be negative if the force applied is in the opposite direction of the displacement of the spring. This means that the spring is releasing energy instead of storing it. It is also possible for the work done by a spring to be zero if there is no displacement, meaning no change in potential energy.