1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done along a semicircle

1. Dec 14, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the work done along the semicircle (x-1)2+y2=1 from the point (0,0,0) to (2,0,0)
    When F=r3cos2φsinφ[itex]\hat{r}[/itex] + r3*cosφ*cos(2φ) [itex]\hat{φ}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    Work
    W=∫F*dr
    where dr=dr= dr[itex]\hat{r}[/itex] + rsinφdφ[itex]\hat{φ}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I convert the equation of the line (x-1)2+y2=1 to cylindrical coordinates.
    Where x=rsinφ
    and y=rcosφ
    so (x-1)2+y2=1
    eventually becomes r=2cosφ

now i plug in this r value into the force vector given, which gives me F=8cos5φsinφ[itex]\hat{r}[/itex] + 8*cos4φ*cos(2φ) [itex]\hat{φ}[/itex]

W=∫F*dr

So now i dot product this with the dr, which is now dr= dr[itex]\hat{r}[/itex] + 2cosφ
    sinφdφ[itex]\hat{φ}[/itex] due to the r value I found.

The dot product comes out to be

∫8cos5φsinφdr + 16*cos5φ*cos(2φ)sinφdφ

and because r=2cosφ, dr=-2sinφ dφ

so this is once again plugged in to the integral of the dot product, creating

∫-16cos5φsin2φdφ + 16*cos5φ*cos(2φ)sinφdφ

where I integrate from pi/2 to 0, since it ends at x=2 and y=0, but begins at x=0 and y=0

This gives me -4/35, which does not seem to be a correct answer
    Any mistakes?
    Any help is appreciated
    Thank You in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The equation is not correct.The second terms has to be rdφ[itex]\hat{φ}[/itex].
    And make the vector [itex]\vec{dr}[/itex] different from dr, change of the coordinate r.

ehild

4. Dec 15, 2011 #3
    For d[itex]\vec{r}[/itex] I actually left out the second term, which is the elevation angle, since it is constant. I guess I should have clarified that I am using this in spherical coordinates, but I did produce a typo It should be
    dr[itex]\hat{r}[/itex]+rsinθd[itex]\varphi[/itex][itex]\hat{\varphi}[/itex].
    Which of course just simplifies to
    dr[itex]\hat{r}[/itex]+rd[itex]\varphi[/itex][itex]\hat{\varphi}[/itex]
    because θ constantly equals pi/2
    So you can ignore the lone sin at the end of the force vector, since it goes to one. Yet it still goes to a negative value unfortunately.

5. Dec 15, 2011 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The integration path is not clear: You can reach from (0.0,0) to (2,0,0) along the upper semicircle or the bottom one, yielding integrals of opposite signs.

ehild

6. Dec 15, 2011 #5
    My apologies, we must go along the circle where y>0

7. Dec 15, 2011 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The integral is negative then.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook