Work done by a constant force

In summary: You should have been solving for .0000200/(2560) which would be 200,000/2560=7.5 J. Then you would have gotten 54 degrees as your answer.
nissanfreak
Work done by a constant force!

A small plane tows a glider at constant speed and altitude. If the plane does 2.00 X 10^5 J of work to tow the glider 145m and the tension in the tow rope is 2560N, what is the angle between the tow rope and the horizontal?

This is one of my homework problems. I think that I might be using the wrong formula for this. What formula should I use? And If its possible could someone please show me how to solve this step by step :blushing: I really want to understand this stuff, so any and all help would be greatly appreciated! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you show us what you've done so far?

Hint: The glider moves horizontally. So what component of the rope tension is doing the work on the glider?

I know that the answer is 57.4 degrees, but I just can't seem to get it? The formula I am using is W=Fd(cos phada) And I am trying to solve for phada. Can someone please work out this problem step by step for me? I want to learn!

or Force = Work / distance.

Resolve the force applied horizontally and vertically. Which applies to the work being done?

Since the plane is pulling the glider horizontally (and not vertically), the horizontal force corresponds to the work being done. Thus F=2560cos(theta).

I think you can solve from there.

nissanfreak said:
I know that the answer is 57.4 degrees, but I just can't seem to get it? The formula I am using is W=Fd(cos phada).
Realize that you are given values for W, F (that's the tension in the rope), and d. All you need do is solve for cos(theta). Then use your calculator to find theta.

To solve for cos(theta): Divide both sides of your formula by Fd.

Well I've tried solving it like that but the answer I keep getting is 5.38793103e-11. Then to get rid of the e-6 I move the decimal over to the right 11 spaces and I then get 54 degrees as my answer. But the books answer is 57.4 degrees. What am I doing wrong?

This is how I had the equation looking .0000200/(2560)(145)=cos theta

nissanfreak said:
This is how I had the equation looking .0000200/(2560)(145)=cos theta
The work is given as 2.00 X 10^5 J = 200,000 J. (Not 2.00 X 10^-5 J = 0.0000200 J.) You messed up the exponent.

What is work done by a constant force?

Work done by a constant force is the product of the magnitude of the force and the distance moved in the direction of the force. It is a measure of the energy transferred to an object by the force.

What is the formula for calculating work done by a constant force?

The formula for calculating work done by a constant force is W = F * d * cos(theta), where W is work, F is the magnitude of the force, d is the distance moved, and theta is the angle between the force and the direction of movement.

Is work done by a constant force always positive?

No, work done by a constant force can be positive, negative, or zero. It is positive when the force and the direction of movement are in the same direction, negative when they are in opposite directions, and zero when there is no movement or the force is perpendicular to the direction of movement.

What are the units of work done by a constant force?

The units of work done by a constant force are joules (J) in the SI system and foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the English system. Both of these units are equivalent to the unit of energy.

Can the work done by a constant force be greater than the energy supplied?

No, the work done by a constant force cannot be greater than the energy supplied to an object. This is due to the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another.