How Does Temperature Change Relate to Work Done by a Gas?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between temperature, work, and average kinetic energy in a gas. The original poster argues that the change in average kinetic energy should be equated to the work done by the gas on the piston, but is corrected by another poster who explains that work and kinetic energy are not directly equatable. The conversation also touches on the role of radiation in heat transfer.
mrcotton

Homework Statement

gasquestion2_zpsdd03924b.jpg

Homework Equations

PV=nRT
the average KE of the whole gas = 3/2 nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

why can I not say that the change in temperature of 147K gives a change in average kinetic energy.

so if the energy changes by 3/2nR (147) this change in energy is equal to the work?

I know that the real answer is PV= work
(force/area) volume = force times distance
So what is wrong with my logic about equating the change in average kinetic energy of the whole gas with the work done by the gas on the piston?

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider - in an isothermal process, the temperature does not change.
By your argument there is no work done. How do you explain, then, the work in an isothermal process?

But why is the work not the change in average kinetic energy?

If I have two equal masses m, one slow one fast. The slow one has speed v and the other speed 2v.
What is the average KE of this system. Call it E1.

Now I do some work on the system so that the slow mass speeds up. Now both masses have the same speed - 2v.
What is the average kinetic energy of the system? Call it E2
What is the change in the average kinetic energy? ΔE=E2-E1

But surely the actual work done is the change in the kinetic energy of the slow mass?
What is this? Compare with the result for ΔE.

Imagine that the piston was glued in place so that the gas could not expand. In this case no external work would be done but the temperature of the gas would still increase. All of the electrical energy input would result in an increase of the internal energy. With the moving piston some of the energy input is converted to internal energy and the rest to external work.

Energy book keeping

work_zps2ae8cc16.jpg

So my understanding so far is that we are changing from state A with P(A), V(A), T(A) to state B with P(B), V(B) T(V) by putting energy into the system ΔE. We are keeping P constant. This make the ΔW calculation easier as (F/A)*V is for the work only has a change of Δs.

The energy ΔE that is added to the system can increase the average kinetic energy of the gas and some of this energy will then be used to move the piston through a distance Δs, which is the work done by the gas on the piston ΔW. So the answer to my query is that they are not equatable.

If the force F on the piston is due to the rate of change of momentum as the gas molecules collide with the piston, why then does the pressure not increase as the internal energy rises?

Is it photons leaving the wire that increase the KE of the gas molecules, and if so is the energy transfer by collision or absorption (This is a minor point really I am just interested).

Thanks for any help

As the temperature increases the average change of momentum per collision gets bigger but as the gas expands the average number of collisions per second gets smaller.

Radiation plays a big part in the heat transfer. An important mechanism is that photons absorbed by the surfaces increase the vibrations of the surface atoms. Some of this increased vibrational energy is transferred to the gas atoms by collision.

What is work done by a gas?

The work done by a gas refers to the energy transferred from the gas to its surroundings in the form of mechanical work. This can occur when the gas expands or contracts, pushing against a piston or other movable boundary.

What is the formula for work done by a gas?

The formula for work done by a gas is W = PΔV, where W represents work, P represents pressure, and ΔV represents the change in volume of the gas.

How does the work done by a gas relate to its volume and pressure?

The work done by a gas is directly proportional to both its volume and pressure. This means that as the volume of the gas increases, the work done also increases, and as the pressure of the gas increases, the work done also increases.

Can the work done by a gas be negative?

Yes, the work done by a gas can be negative if the gas is compressed or if the volume decreases. This indicates that the gas is losing energy to its surroundings, rather than transferring energy to them.

What are some real-life applications of work done by a gas?

Work done by a gas has many practical applications, such as in the operation of internal combustion engines, refrigerators, and heat pumps. It is also important in processes such as compression and expansion in industrial settings and in the study of thermodynamics.