Calculating Work: Gas in a Horizontal Cylinder Heated from 300K to 400K

In summary, a cylinder with a frictionless piston is initially filled with a gas at 300K and a volume of 1.0 ×10^-3 m3. The gas is heated slowly to a final temperature of 400K while the pressure remains constant at 1.0×10^5N/m^2. To calculate the work done by the gas in this process, we can use the ideal gas law and deduce that W = PΔV. By rewriting this in terms of ΔT, we can calculate the work done by the gas.
Asla

Homework Statement

A cylinder with a frictionless piston is placed horizontaly in an atmosphere of pressure 1.0×10^5N/m^2.A gas in the cylinder is initially at a temperature of 300K with a volume of 1.0 ×10^-3 m3.Then , the ags is heated slowly to a final temparature of 400k.How much work is done by the gas in this process?

Homework Equations

PV=nRT
E=3/2nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

I used this approach though I very much think there is a better approach
PV=nRT ,which everything given(before the gas was heated) I calculated n.
using E=3/2nRT I got the Energy before and after the difference and got the difference which I assume is equal to the work done

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.

To clarify the question: Is the gas heated "at 400 K" or is it heated "until the gas reaches a final temperature of 400 K"?

Also, you write E = (3/2)nRT. That is valid for a monatomic ideal gas. Does the problem state that the gas is monatomic? [EDIT: I don't think you'll actually need this equation anyway. The change in E does not equal the work because there is also some heat added to the gas.]

TSny said:
Hello.

To clarify the question: Is the gas heated "at 400 K" or is it heated "until the gas reaches a final temperature of 400 K"?

Also, you write E = (3/2)nRT. That is valid for a monatomic ideal gas. Does the problem state that the gas is monatomic? [EDIT: I don't think you'll actually need this equation anyway. The change in E does not equal the work because there is also some heat added to the gas.]
I have edited the question.
It is not stated that the gas is monoatomic and that is one of the things that make me think that my method is wrong.
My argument is the energy gained by the gas is equal to the difference in internal energy of the gas before heating and after heating.

I think it will help if you sketch the process on a PV diagram. How can you get the work done by the gas from the PV diagram?

TSny said:
I think it will help if you sketch the process on a PV diagram. How can you get the work done by the gas from the PV diagram?
I think that the PV graph in this case should be a straight line parallel to the x-axis since the pressure is constant but the volume is varying(since the piston is moving).
I am not sure about this but since the pressure is constant I think this is an isobaric process and the work done can be got by multiplying the difference in volume(between final volume and initial volume) by the pressure(I can get this by using Boyle's Law)

Asla said:
I think that the PV graph in this case should be a straight line parallel to the x-axis since the pressure is constant but the volume is varying(since the piston is moving).
I am not sure about this but since the pressure is constant I think this is an isobaric process and the work done can be got by multiplying the difference in volume(between final volume and initial volume) by the pressure(I can get this by using Boyle's Law)

Yes, that's very good (although it's not really Boyle's law that you are using). The important thing is that you have deduced that W = PΔV for this process. Can you now use the ideal gas law to rewrite PΔV in terms of ΔT?

TSny said:
Yes, that's very good (although it's not really Boyle's law that you are using). The important thing is that you have deduced that W = PΔV for this process. Can you now use the ideal gas law to rewrite PΔV in terms of ΔT?
Yes I am using ideal gas law,..my mistake.
I got it thanks

1. How do you calculate the work done by a gas in a horizontal cylinder?

To calculate the work done by a gas in a horizontal cylinder, you need to use the formula W = PΔV, where W is the work done, P is the pressure of the gas, and ΔV is the change in volume of the gas.

2. What is the formula for calculating work done by a gas in a horizontal cylinder?

The formula for calculating work done by a gas in a horizontal cylinder is W = PΔV, where W is the work done, P is the pressure of the gas, and ΔV is the change in volume of the gas.

3. Can you provide an example of calculating work done by a gas in a horizontal cylinder?

For example, if a gas in a horizontal cylinder is heated from 300K to 400K and the pressure of the gas is 2 atm, the change in volume can be calculated using the ideal gas law (PV = nRT). Assuming the amount of gas (n) and the gas constant (R) remain constant, the change in volume would be ΔV = (nRΔT)/P = (nR(400K-300K))/2atm = 50L. Plugging this value into the formula W = PΔV, the work done by the gas would be 2atm * 50L = 100J.

4. What is the unit of measurement for work done by a gas in a horizontal cylinder?

The unit of measurement for work done by a gas in a horizontal cylinder is joules (J). This is the standard unit for energy and work in the SI system.

5. How does the temperature change affect the work done by a gas in a horizontal cylinder?

The temperature change directly affects the work done by a gas in a horizontal cylinder. As the temperature increases, the gas molecules gain more kinetic energy and move faster, leading to an increase in pressure and volume. This results in a larger change in volume (ΔV) and ultimately, a larger amount of work done (W = PΔV).