1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done by a man

1. Feb 26, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A man is standing on a cart of mass double the mass of man. mass of the man is m. initially the cart is at rest on a smooth ground. now, the man jumps w/ velocity v horizontally towards right wrt the cart. find the work done by the man during the process of jumping.

2. Relevant equations
    W = Change in kinetic energy
    Initial momentum = Final momentum

3. The attempt at a solution
    I calculated the change in kinetic energy and equated it to the work done, but i'm not able to get the right answer, which is mv^2/3.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2017 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello and welcome to PF!
    Your general approach to the problem sounds right. But we can't identify where you are making a mistake unless you show your work in detail.

4. Feb 26, 2017 #3
    This is what I did.

Conserving momentum: mv=2m(x)
    therefore x = velocity of cart = v/2

Apply work energy theorem:
    W = mv^2 + (2m)(v^2/4)/2 = 3mv^2/4

5. Feb 26, 2017 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You did not use the fact that v is the velocity of the man wrt the cart, not the velocity of the man wrt the ground. You have three velocities to work with:
    v = velocity of man wrt cart
    vc = velocity of the cart wrt the ground
    vm = velocity of the man wrt the ground.

How are these related? Which of these velocities should be used in the conservation of momentum equation?

6. Feb 26, 2017 #5
    but the system is initially at rest, no? so wouldn't velocity will be imparted to the cart only after the man has jumped?

7. Feb 26, 2017 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes
    Yes.

Once the man has jumped, he has a certain velocity wrt the ground (vm) and the cart has a certain velocity wrt the ground (vc). Also after the man has jumped, the man has a certain velocity wrt the cart (v).

8. Feb 26, 2017 #7
    I got the right answer! Thanks!
    And thank you for the welcome. :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted