1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work Done by a Spring Force

1. Oct 15, 2004 #1
    I am having trouble with this part of the problem. I set it up like this: -.5*m*v^2 = -.5*k*d^2 so v = sqrt((k*d^2)/m) = sqrt((220*.14^2)/.25) = 4.15 m/s. What am I doing wrong?

A 250 g block is dropped onto a relaxed vertical spring that has a spring constant of k = 2.2 N/cm (Figure 7-42). The block becomes attached to the spring and compresses the spring 14 cm before momentarily stopping.

(c) What is the speed of the block just before it hits the spring? (Assume that friction is negligible.)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Possibly, you should take into account the change in gravitational potential energy as well.
  4. Oct 15, 2004 #3
    I don't understand.
  5. Oct 18, 2004 #4
    while the spring is compressing, gravity is still adding kinetic energy, even as the spring is taking it away. so you should see how much gravitational potential energy has been included after the 14 cm compression, and take that into account with your equation
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?