1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done by a spring

1. Feb 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We must apply a force of magnitude 80N to hold the block stationary at x = -2.0cm. From that position, we then slowly move the block so that our force does +4.0J of work on the spring-block system; the block is then again stationary. What is the block's position? (Two answers.)

2. Relevant equations

F = -kx

W = (1/2)*k*xi^2 - (1/2)*k*xf^2

3. The attempt at a solution

80 = -k(-.02m)
    k = 4000 N/m

With the spring constant, i plug it into the Work equation to find xf

4 = .5*4000*(-.02^2) - .5*4000*xf^2

3.2 = -2000xf^2
    -.0016 = xf^2

And this is where I am stuck. The answer cannot be an imaginary number, but a real one. I know the equations are correct, so what am I doing wrong? Please explain.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You want final minus initial, not the other way around.

4. Feb 11, 2012 #3
    The problem is that, that is how the book presented us with the equation. It was initial minus final. I understand where you are coming from, but that's how it is.

5. Feb 11, 2012 #4

Doc Al

Then what does W stand for in your book? The work done by the spring? The work done by you will be opposite to that.

6. Feb 11, 2012 #5
    Doc Al. So what you are telling me is that the Work of +4.0J is caused by me. And its positive because the direction and force are directed towards one way. But the force of a spring is always opposite the displacement. So the work of the spring is -4.0J because its moving one way, while the force is directed towards the opposite?

7. Feb 11, 2012 #6

Doc Al

Right.

8. Feb 11, 2012 #7
    Thanks for your help Doc. I really appreciate it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook