1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done by a suitcase

1. Feb 13, 2008 #1
    A luggage handler pulls a suitcase of mass 16.6kg up a ramp inclined at an angle 20.0 above the horizontal by a force of magnitude 149N that acts parallel to the ramp. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the ramp and the incline is 0.262. The suitcase travels a distance 3.70m along the ramp.

Calculate the work done on the suitcase by the force F.
    I am doing
    W= 149*cos(20)*3.7
    =518
    and its not correct

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2008 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

How about considering the work done by friction?

4. Feb 13, 2008 #3
    This question just wants the work done on the suitcase regardless of friction, there is another question a couple down asking the work done on the suitcase by the friction force. I am not looking for the total work yet, just the work done on the suitcase

5. Feb 13, 2008 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well then the work done by F is just simply force*distance. The force,F, is already parallel to the plane.

6. Feb 13, 2008 #5
    I got the answer to the first question, I had my calculator in degress instead of radians, but I cant figure out the equation for
    Calculate the work done on the suitcase by the friction force.

My teacher has us do the homework online before she ever teaches us, and it is for a grade. So every week our class has to go into the homework like a deer in headlights

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?