1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done by a varying force

1. Apr 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A cord is attached to a cart that can slide along a frictionless horizontal rail aligned along an x-axis. The left end of the cord is pulled over a pulley, located at height h = 1.2m. There is negligible frictional force. The cart slides from x1=3.00m to x2=1.00m. During the move, the tension in the cord is a constant 25.0N. What is the change in kinetic energy of the cart during the move

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    My approach to the question is as follow:
    Since tension is constant, the horizontal component of T will decrease as the angle T makes with the horizontal increases. So I need to form an expression for horizontal component of T in term of h and x. But I don't know how to form this equation.

tan

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2010 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

HINT: Draw a force diagram and use the properties of a right-angled triangle. :wink:

4. Apr 27, 2010 #3
    why draw force diagram? There is only one force involved

5. Apr 27, 2010 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, but there is two components and you want the angle between the force and one of its components (in the x-direction). You should then be able to write the angle in terms of the displacement and the pulley height.

6. Apr 27, 2010 #5
    tanθ = 1.2/x
    θ = tan-11.2/x
    Tcosθ = Tcos(tan-11.2/x)
    Is it like this?

7. Apr 27, 2010 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It would perhaps be easier to use the fact that
    cosθ = x/sqrt(x^2+h^2). Can you see why?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook